Thursday, March 30, 2017

What's that animal called?

We had Jason Hunt from Jason's Mobile RV Service come out to check our washer/dryer on Wednesday. He confirmed that we have a leak in the water pump and that the likelihood of getting a replacement water pump is pretty low (the company last sold new ones in 2003, and used ones are... uhm... used and/or not available). His wife, Monica, came with him on the mobile call, and she and I had a very informative conversation (for me) on showing of goats.

Their two daughters (12 and 10, I think) show goats. I think they show Boer goats (a meat producing breed). She told me that they show "wethers" - I had not heard that term before, but it is a castrated male goat.

When I thought about it, it made sense - a castrated horse is a "gelding" and a castrated cow is a "steer", but I had not considered that there would be a different term for different species of animals.

Can you name what the term is for baby, adult male, juvenile male, adult female, juvenile female, and castrated male of each of the following animals?
  • horse
  • cow
  • goat
  • sheep
  • chicken
  • swine
 <play the Final Jeopardy! music https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3lLYOGDsts to enable your thinking....>

Want the answers that I found?





Here is what I have learned from a small amount of internet research:



Type
Baby
Male
Young Male
Female
Young Female
Castrated Male
Horse
Foal
Stallion
Colt
Mare
Filly
Gelding
Cow
Calf
Bull

Cow
Heifer
Steer
Goat
Kid
Buck/billy

Doe/nanny

Wether
Sheep
Lamb
Ram

Ewe

Wether
Chicken
Chick
Rooster / cock
Cockerel
Hen
Pullet
Capon
Swine
Piglet
Boar

Sow
Gilt
Barrow


The terms "bull", "cow" and "calf" are also used by extension to denote the sex or age of other large animals, including whales, hippopotamuses, camels, elk, and elephants.

No comments:

Post a Comment