Sunday, December 1, 2019

Now *that's* a big acorn!

I was talking with my brother about the big acorns that the tree near Miss Doozie produces... so I took a picture to share with all of you:
That's my "house" key to give perspective on size.
I think they are from a Burr Oak tree based on an internet search: https://www.brit.org/phytophilia/what-thing-bur-oak-acorn-cap

The picture also shows some caps that the squirrels have gnawed off of the nuts. I figure whichever squirrels get these will have the equivalent of about 5-6 of the smaller acorns! They could get their whole collecting for the season completed in just an afternoon! I have wondered how much it would hurt if one of those hit me on the head when I was outside. It appears that they have all fallen now, so I guess I don't need to look into a helmet for this season, anyway!

No comments:

Post a Comment