Wednesday, August 22, 2018

More from Pend Oreille County Museum

There were a LOT of interesting things at the museum that we visited on Tuesday. The lady who greeted us when we arrived was so nice and friendly. More things to see than could be seen in hours... and we had only a couple of hours to spend before it closed. Here are some additional pictures...
A copy of the bill from the hospital for delivering a baby, 1952.  $129.10  I am guessing that there were no additional bills from doctors, for equipment, etc. The doctors and hospital worked for the patient, not the insurance company... don't get me started!!!

An IBM Executive typewriter. A few years ago, we had a yard sale in which we were selling a portable typewriter (for something like $1, I think). A youngster, maybe 12-13, was quite interested in it. "Do you have the monitor?" he asked, thinking this was a computer that he could purchase for $1... he was disappointed. I suggested he could still use it for typing letters, I thought I did a good sales job... but, as I recall, he didn't purchase it.

Sales display for shoelaces....
...with information about the correct lengths to purchase...




 I remember these kinds of displays. Why do we not need this kind of thing today? Do we throw away shoes before they need new laces? Do laces last longer? Do we just live with having dirty nasty-looking laces and not worry about it? Do we have so many shoes that the laced ones aren't used very often and don't need replacing? If we replace laces, do we just live with ones that are a little too long or a bit short instead of being able to get exactly what we need? (Note: Dwayne and I wear SAS lace-up shoes and their tie shoes come with an extra set of laces in the box.)

When I blogged a couple of days ago about the names of places (http://trekincartwrights.blogspot.com/2018/08/names-and-names.html), one of the references indicated that Pend Oreille County was the most recently formed county in Washington, coming into existence in 1911.

The cartoon drawing and this text explained why... imagine having to travel 2 days just to do business at the county seat!

A wooden representation of the county outside one of the buildings. Newport is way down on the lower right side.
 Are you reading the name "Pend Oreille" and saying it correctly in your mind? From Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pend_Oreille_County,_Washington): (/pɒndəˈr/ pond-ə-RAY).

I found this poster in another building to be interesting... I guess there was only a single place to get fuel so you couldn't get 3 gallons at one place and another 3 gallons at another station down the road? Or people were honest and only fueled what they were allotted? We would not have been driving Miss Doozie... (6.5 mile/gallon of diesel on average would have allowed us to travel 18-30 miles per week depending on whether we were an A or B - I don't think we would have qualified as a "C").

Those with a "C" were essential to the war effort...

If you had a "C" then I guess your sticker also indicated what situation qualified you as essential. I thought these were interesting and was considering what made each of them essential... Embalmer? I guess the embalmer may have had to go to the places (homes) where someone had died and collect the body to prepare it for burial - so you wouldn't want that function to have to cease or be delayed.

This was an article that was posted on the wall inside a caboose that was on display on the grounds of the museum... I found one paragraph very interesting....

"Montenegrans" were employed..."the Montenegrans wore their native costumes to work and sang and danced about their fires in the evening. Children were both fascinated and frightened by them." Dwayne and I enjoyed many trips to Montenegro - but I don't remember seeing them wearing native costumes or singing or dancing around fires!

We had been asking the lady who was at the front of the museum about how much snow was common during the winter. This gives a picture of snow at some point in the past. She had told us that they have quite a lot of snow.

I took this picture for my brother and nephew...


A fire truck...

"active service from 1947 thru 1984... only 9,000 original miles..."

Dwayne examining some of the tools and implements inside one of the sheds...

This was the descriptive text on the front of the black sleigh in the foreground of the picture with Dwayne - with what looks like was originally wine colored velvet upholstered bench seat. It was used to haul mail from Fairbanks, Alaska to Valdez, Alaska, from 1915 to 1935. Then refurbished and used from 1980 to 1993 in Fairbanks for sleigh rides and weddings. I wonder if it was a more enclosed sleigh when it was used for mail hauling?
My friend, Celesta, shared some laundry insights in answers to my questions in yesterday's post (http://trekincartwrights.blogspot.com/2018/08/things-i-learned-at-pend-oreille-county.html):
My Mom put white things on the grass to dry, and my understanding is that it was to get the "natural bleach" from the grass with the sun to take effect.  I don't know if that was true, but that's what I recall.  ....OF course, I remember the bluing, the big kettle in our "wash house", the broom stick to remove the clothes, etc.  AND, one of my jobs was to wipe the wash line with a damp cloth before the clothes were hung on the line to dry.
See - that wiping of the wash line with a damp cloth was what I was thinking should have been included in the instructions to a bride - along with the instructions on hanging the "other" items (not tea towels or rags) on the line. One of the things I remember learning from my Mom was to hang the sheets on the line in half lengthwise - then when you took them off, you already had the fold in the middle for starting the folding to put them away, AND you had the center line well marked so when you put the sheet on the bed, it was easy to get it centered! Of course, there was no such thing as fitted sheets, they were all flat sheets, and getting them on the bed centered before starting to make the corners was important to ultimate success.

And... I should have thought about the natural bleaching of the sun but I didn't know that the grass contributed to that! Thank you for your contributions, Celesta!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment