Friday, August 17, 2018

Names and names...

While looking for information about what we could find around Newport, Washington, I discovered that there are multiple Newports in Washington. This is rather confusing to someone who is not from around here!

Costco seems to think I *must* mean a Newport that is somewhere near Seattle... maybe because that is where many of their stores are located?

CVS asks which county I'm interested in... of course, I don't know, and I don't know why there are 3 Newports listed in King County...
Because I don't know, I clicked on the first one, and it turns out that's the one that I'm interested in!

Now, I could avoid all of this confusion if I would look up the zip code of where we are planning to stay, but - why would a state have multiple cities with the same name? Is this common?

As we have been in the Newport area, we've seen that there is a Pend Oreille River and Lake Pend Oreille over in Idaho, as well as several businesses with Pend Oreille in the name. Who or what was/is Pend Oreille?

Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pend_Oreille_County,_Washington) tells me that it is named after a tribe and that roughly in French it could mean "hangs from the ear". The pronunciation is not how I've been saying it, but I have a very hard time knowing how to pronounce words in French... it seems that they have a LOT of silent letters!
I tried to find those Newports that CVS thought were in King or Thurston Counties, and that Costco thought was near Seattle -
...in King County, it seems that there is a community called Newport within the city of Bellevue east of Seattle.
In Thurston County, all I could find were a Newport St and Newport Ct in Olympia.

It would make more sense to me if a town named "Newport" was on the coast - isn't that where ports, new or old, would be?
Wikipedia provided an answer (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newport,_Washington).
And... when I was asking in Newport about places that might take our recycling (we haven't found any), one of the directions that a lady gave me sent me on "route 41 through old town" which I heard as "old town", like maybe the old downtown section... but...
It turns out that Oldtown is the name of the area in Idaho...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oldtown,_Idaho
So, now I know a little more about the names of places around this area of Washington!

No comments:

Post a Comment