Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Amazon CamperForce

A few months ago, I (Patti) listened to a webinar where the speaker talked about working with Amazon's CamperForce. Amazon hires campers to work in the period from September-December to help with the additional manpower needs at that time in their Haslett, TX, Murfreesboro, TN, and Campbellsville, KY locations. I decided that there was nothing to lose by applying... if I could get hired on in Haslett, it would be handy because it is near Fort Worth, so Dwayne could be close to places he knows while I would be working. Since we are thinking that we will be going to Alaska next year, and anticipating that it may be a little more expensive than our normal budget, the additional income could be nice. In addition, it would be totally different from any job I have ever done - or at least any job I have done since college. I would be working on a plant floor, picking and packing orders from Amazon customers. Physically demanding, probably not too demanding mentally, not a lot of creativity required.
http://www.amazonfulfillmentcareers.com/opportunities/camper-force/

The application process was "interesting" because one of the requirements was that you took a multiple choice test. This test seemed to have as its goal to determine how ethical a person you are. I would be really interested to talk with someone at some point at Amazon to see how effective the test is at weeding out those who are not ethical. I mean, even if you *are* someone who would see no problem with stealing things from your employer, would you really answer that "I might as well take it, everyone else does" on a test from a prospective employer?

I must have done ok on the ethical test, because a few weeks ago I was notified that they wanted me to take the next step, which was to attend a webinar. I attended it two weeks ago, and it was quite interesting as well. Some things I learned:
  • Amazon was founded in 1994 and has become the world's largest online retailer
  • They currently employ 150,000 full time employees at Amazon fulfillment centers across the U.S. as well as more than 100,000 seasonal employees during peak season
  • In 2008, one of the suppliers of temp employees hired campers (two couples) to work at an Amazon fulfillment center. Amazon noticed a difference in the behavior of those employees, and therefore prioritized this workforce in years following, from 2 couples in 2008, to 40 campers in 2009, to 1300 in 2010. The term "CamperForce" was copyrighted by Amazon to identify its seasonal camper workforce in 2012.
  • What was the difference? CamperForce associates achieve a 98% or higher attendance rate. The regular Amazon employees achieve 85%, and employees from temp agencies about 81%. CamperForce provides predictability. Once the Camperforce associates get there, they tend to stay through the season while temps have to be replaced 3-4x - which reduces their training costs. Veteran CamperForce associates are often used to train new associates.
  • These temporary seasonal positions pay an hourly rate, provide a paid full hookup site, and offer a season completion bonus.
  • The jobs are considered to be "physically demanding" - requiring the associates to be on their feet, walking or standing on concrete floors, for 10 hours per day. The normal work week is 4 10 hour days. Mandatory overtime is required during the height of the peak season (a 5th 10 hour day per week).
  • The wage is $10.75/hour, with a shift differential for other than daytime, overtime (anything over 40 hours/week) at 1.5x. If you commit to working through December 23 and work to the end of the season (12/23), then you will receive a completion bonus of $1 for each hour worked during the season.
During the call, I also found out that the Haslett location is full (primarily with returning CamperForce associates), so I would be offered a position at either Murfreesboro or Campbellsville. Evidently, as long as I think I can do the job, they are going to offer it to me. I will need to do a pre-employment background check and a drug screening.

So, about a week ago, I received the job offer for Murfreesboro. Dwayne and I are praying about whether this is the right thing for us to do.
  • Pros: 
    • we would be near Nashville (so Dwayne could "hang out" at times with our friend, Warren, while I am working)
    • I would get to see the inside working of an Amazon fulfillment center, which, since we order a lot from Amazon, would be interesting
    • I would also get to do a job very different from what I have done before
    • we heard from a friend that everyone she knows who has done CamperForce loses weight!
    • Dwayne may be able to help other campers with tasks at the campground - like walking dogs, doing laundry, maybe even making some meals - for people who work 10 hours a day, they may be willing to pay a little to have these things done for them .
    • If I work for them this year in Murfreesboro, I may get priority to get into Haslett for another year.
    • we would have a bit of additional funds to "play" with for the following year - to be able to help with ministries that we might want to invest in, or to help with expenses in going to Alaska or other things.
  • Cons:
    • physically demanding work that I am not sure she can do - but I can start preparing by walking more and more - which would be good regardless!
    • requirement to be in one spot for 2-4 months in the fall, and not a spot where we could also get other things (like doctor visits) done - which we were hoping for if we were at Haslett
    • earning money in another state... Tennessee does not have a state income tax, so we should not have to file, but it is something to consider (and another reason why Haslett was desireable)
So, we're seeking God's leading... if you're willing to pray with us for wisdom on this, we would sure appreciate it!

2 comments:

  1. Very interesting, Patti. Thanks for sharing the information. Keith and I will pray for God's leading for you.

    ReplyDelete