Monday, May 9, 2016

South of the Border

When Jimmy and I were kids, Uncle Carl and Auntie Anne took Granny and the two of us to visit his daughter, Mary Jane, in Florida. Jimmy could tell particulars of the vehicle we drove - it was a van, and the engine was under the place where the suitcases were stored - because everytime the engine needed to be worked on (my memory is that it required multiple stops for fixing), all of our suitcases would be piled along the side of the road. It was a GREAT adventure!

One of the things I remember was that there was this AMAZING place that was advertised at least from the Virginia border south called "South of the Border". I knew it must be AMAZING because the billboards all said that it was. I don't think we stopped there (much to my chagrin as a 7-8 year old), but I still remember being enthralled with "what must this place be?" It was located just across into South Carolina along I-95.

Well, there are still billboards, but somehow to my grownup eyes they don't picture the place quite as AMAZING as it seemed when I was 7-8 years old.
"You never SAUSAGE a place! You're always a WEINER at Pedro's South of the Border"

"!Caliente! South of the Border"

It's coming into view!!!

"Your sheep are all counted at South of the Border" - I have no idea what this advertisement means - maybe that there is lodging there?

See the big sombrero????

Pedro's Mexico Shop
 I wonder how many parents are badgered by their kids to stop there? It really looks sad now - I suspect it may have been a better looking place, uhm...., 50 or so years ago...

No comments:

Post a Comment