Tuesday, December 24, 2019

Christmas songs

I've been exposed to some Christmas songs this year that I have either (1) never heard before or (2) verses or segments of songs I know but I didn't know that verse or segment.
Are these familiar to you?
Who are Jeanette and Isabella and why are they bringing a torch?



 Here is a version of it on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKigUc9-O3E

I didn't know about this second verse - I know what a "bobtail bay" is, but what is "two-forty for his speed"?
 It turns out that there are three additional verses that I don't think I've ever heard (https://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2010/11/the-song-jingle-bells-is-thought-to-have-been-written-for-a-thanksgiving-sunday-school-program/) -- and "two-forty" means doing a mile in 2 minutes, 40 seconds, or about 22.5 miles per hour.

It occurs to me that I only know the "O Christmas tree" part, I think I would only hum or mouth any other words of the song!
I've mentioned before that, on the ILC campus, we sing hymns, lots of hymns, hymns in the melodies and form as printed in hymnals, and usually all the verses! It is an experience for me, one that I am not familiar with - but... one which I am enjoying!

No comments:

Post a Comment