Monday, November 28, 2016

A new kind of migrant worker?

I had not thought of workcampers being migrant workers, but... I guess they are!

http://www.nbcnews.com/nightly-news/video/the-holiday-season-is-bringing-high-demand-for-work-campers-818199107928

There are a few folks that I know (or "know of" - probably our relationship is not close enough to count as "knowing" them!) who are working for Amazon this season. We also have friends who have worked the beet harvest in the past - I don't know if they did it this fall or not.

Whenever I think of migrant workers I think of John Steinbeck's Grapes of Wrath, though I have to admit that other than being required to read it in high school, I don't recall a lot about it!

That video profiled a couple who had "responsible jobs" but are now enjoying workcamping where they don't have to bring the work home with them. I'm thankful that Dwayne and I don't have a financial need to do workcamping, but maybe we'll give it a try at some point just to do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment