Tuesday, November 15, 2016

Participating on a Launch Crew!



I have been privileged to be on the launch crew for a book that is releasing this week... a little background...

When Dwayne and I were at the Escapade in Essex Junction in July, we participated in the Christian Fellowship BOF (Birds of a Feather) Bible Study time each morning - actually, we were in charge of "leading" the time each morning (and the Sunday service on the opening day). We used a Bible study that emphasized seeking how God was speaking to us in His Word and responding with obedience.

One evening as we were walking back to Miss Doozie, we were talking about our discouragement because we had not followed through on the commitment to obedience that we had made earlier in the day. Each of us had felt that God wanted us to talk with someone we might meet along the way about Jesus. Just at that time, we noticed a fellow walking by himself near us and greeted him. We talked for a little while, talked with him about Jesus, found out that he was also a Christ-follower, and invited him to the Bible Study the next day. Thus we met Charles Sanger.

Charles came to Bible study, and we got to know him a little bit better. He was going to be presenting a couple of talks at the Escapade and I was able to attend them. I signed up to get his weekly emails and enjoyed hearing about what was going on with his life. I knew that he was writing a book, and, in fact, got to vote on the cover design (the one I liked won!!!).

A couple of weeks ago, Charles sent out a note to a group list that I was part of asking if any of us would like to be on the "launch crew" for his book, Gilligan Meets Google, A Baby Boomer's Survival Guide to the Digital Age. I read the requirements and thought, "Hey, that's something I would like to do!" I got a pre-release copy of the book and read it.

Here's the review I posted on Amazon:
Even for a techie boomer, there are things to learn!
I just finished reading Gilligan Meets Google and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I would have said before reading the book that, after 33 years working for a large technology company, I was pretty technology and information savvy, but I learned quite a bit from this book.

One of the biggest take-aways for me was reading about the changes from the agrarian to industrial to information economies - within that chapter I gained a new realization for why the company that I retired from made so many changes that made it "not the company I loved" anymore. Gilligan Meets Google gave me a new perspective on why those changes were necessary.

I also appreciated how Charles Sanger interwove concepts from his sailing experiences and from his faith within the book.

I am on the "launch crew" so was reading a pre-release copy of the book. My rating is based on the pre-release version which had a few minor formatting errors which lowered the rating slightly. I am certain that the formatting issues will be fixed in the final product.

I look forward to getting my Kindle version and reading it again, this time taking the time to complete the to-do's that are provided at the end of each chapter.
I wanted to let my blog readers know about this book - especially since the Kindle version will be just $.99 from now until its release day, Thursday, this week, 11/17. Even if you don't have a Kindle, you can still read the Kindle version on your computer or smartphone (there's an app for that! if you need help getting the app, just let me know - but buy the book on Thursday!).

Check out more information at http://gilliganmeetsgoogle.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment