Sunday, March 25, 2018

Binary

Warning: a geeky math post
This "math joke" works best in print... not so much spoken. (source: https://www.spreadshirt.com/there+are+only+10+types+of+people+geek-A13043855?view=D1)

Though you never think of it, in base 10 (decimal, "normal" numbers), the value 10 is 1*10 + 0*1 = 10 (base 10).

"10" in binary (base 2) is 1*2 + 0*1 = 2 (base 10)

Our friend, Michael, showed us his binary watch:

Its battery was dead, so it was not showing a time...
It would have various indicators lit, and you would have to calculate the value being shown... so, if, in the hour, the first and third indicators were lit, the hour would be 10 o'clock. Likewise, if the first and last indicator for minute were lit, it would be 33 minutes past the hour. An example with the face lit can be seen here: https://www.thinkgeek.com/product/6a17/
A curiosity, but probably not very practical for telling time in a timely manner!!!

Before finishing this post, I need to address the term, "geeky" or "geek".

Many years ago, I posted about something that I had discovered about DB2 (the database product that I taught/developed courses on). In the forum with other instructors/developers, I indicated what I had discovered and added the note, "I know I am a geek, but I thought this was neat."

One of my colleagues, a fellow from Europe, who spoke several languages, and probably spoke English better than I, responded with something like... "I am not sure what you are saying. I looked up the definition of 'geek' in the 1988 Webster's World Dictionary on my desk and it says that a geek is a circus performer who bites the heads off of live chickens or snakes."

Really?

Yes, really!

From:  http://www.dictionary.com/browse/geek
4. a carnival performer who performs sensationally morbid or disgusting acts, as biting off the head of a live chicken.
I responded on the post saying, "You know, I haven't had a good live chicken head in a while!"

No comments:

Post a Comment