Sunday, November 15, 2015

The variances of rest areas

We bypassed the rest area on I-85 as we were leaving South Carolina this morning, thinking that there would be a welcome center as we entered Georgia... well, there was, but it was closed, and I think we passed another closed one either on the way in to Atlanta on I-85 or on I-20 heading west from Atlanta. I guess I could have used various tools at my disposal (e.g. google) to discover this, but we didn't know. So, we drove on through to the welcome center on I-20 in Alabama, and stopped there for breakfast and rest after about 3 hours of driving.

I checked AllStays and found that the rest area between Birmingham and Tuscaloosa indicated that it had an RV dump station - so we decided to stop there also, and sure enough, it was open, it did have a working dump station, and we were able to empty our tanks.
RV Dump in Cottondale, AL Rest Area, nearest exit, 86 on I-20
It has been two weeks since our previous dump - but we "cheated" a little by taking showers in Jimmy and Regina's house while we were at the farm, so we can't really claim to be able to make it 2 weeks between dumps. Maybe we'll test that in Quartzsite in January.

After we dumped, we drove around into the truck rest area - wow - so much parking. AllStays says no overnight parking, though - that surprises me. I didn't notice any signs, but I didn't think to look either.

I am not sure why the Georgia rest areas were closed - whether it is a cost cutting measure or they are just doing maintenance. It makes it challenging when you're trying to make good time and your rig is rather large for pulling into gas stations or fast food places!

No comments:

Post a Comment