Friday, December 1, 2017

floor plans

I like looking at floor plans. I like contemplating whether I think the floor plan would be good or not for us.

I like looking at floor plans of motorhomes (we are NOT thinking about getting a different one!) - the Family Motor Coach Association (FMCA) magazine has a review of a new motor home each month and includes a floor plan.

One of the resale companies for RVs in Texas is PPL Motorhomes. One thing I particularly like is that they include floor plans with their online ads (example: https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/used-rvs-for-sale/diesel-motorhomes?sortBy=price+desc).

So... I think I blogged a few days/weeks ago that our experience with losing the wheel from the bus made us contemplate, "What would we do if our home (Miss Doozie) had been permanently damaged and we couldn't continue to travel with her?" We discussed that we would probably have gotten a hotel room and waited for the insurance settlement, and then decide if we wanted to invest in another motorhome or settle for a stay-in-one-place life.

This kind of conversation made me think about retirement housing options... a few years ago when I thought about retirement housing, I thought that we would need at least two bedrooms and two bathrooms... now I know that we can survive with a much smaller space (though it is still nice to have separate bathroom sinks!). At about the same time, friends of ours from church let us know that they are selling their house and downsizing to an apartment... so I started looking at some apartment floorplans...

Do you look at that and think, "Wow, how huge!"?!?!  I like when the closet is in the bathroom (we had that in the house in Coppell, and we have it on the bus as well) - but it would be even better if there were separate closets as I am messy and Dwayne is NOT! I also like that you can get into the bathroom without having to go out into the public space. I *don't* like that the washer/dryer is right at the entry door (I would prefer it also be accessible from the bathroom). And, I would prefer double sinks in the bathroom.

Wow - look at this - TWO bathrooms! And a den/study where we could have our computers somewhere other than the dining table (where they are in the bus). But, the washer/dryer is still at the front door, and there is only one closet attached to the main bathroom.

Just an observation - I do NOT like these kinds of floor plans... I have a hard time knowing what they are trying to illustrate! I wonder if it is age-related though? Do younger people prefer this kind of floor plan illustration? FYI - this apartment has an attached garage downstairs - that's where the stairs on the lower right are coming from.

This apartment complex has such cute comments on their floor plans! "Walk-in? My closet is Drive-in." And notice the dog pictured between the kitchen and the living room (or between "Create" and "Socialize").

This one really caught my attention -- there is a dotted line all through the apartment designating "Our very own racetrack!" with a dog chasing a cat!



No comments:

Post a Comment