Monday, June 17, 2019

Class this week

I am attending another course that is being offered on campus here this week. The good news is, it doesn't have as long hours as the Explore Bible Translation class (which ran 7:15am-8 or 8:30pm) -- this one is 8:30am - 4:30pm. The bad news (maybe also good news) is: it is a very emotion filled course: Bible Based Trauma Healing Workshop.
A link to the course
About the Program ModelThis proven model of the Trauma Healing Institute uses applied Scripture and mental health principles to address spiritual and emotional wounds caused by the trauma of war, violence, natural disasters, and abuse. The book Healing the Wounds of Trauma: How the Church Can Help has been translated and taught in over 100 countries with more than 194 language groups in Africa, Asia, the Pacific and the Americas.
About the SessionAt this initial equipping session, participants learn basic biblical and mental health principles related to trauma care; explore if they themselves are carrying any wounds of trauma or loss and bring those to Christ for healing; learn how to lead groups in a participatory way; learn the program model; and develop plans for using what they have learned in their community.
 Trauma healing facilitators aim to “do no harm” to those they help. To this end, participants are evaluated during the equipping session. A simple test measures mastery of content. Short practice facilitation exercises include feedback on facilitator strengths and suggestions to address areas needing improvement.
I am wondering whether I'm in good shape for attending this... I don't think I am to get the most out of it to help others in the future, but maybe it is good timing for me to attend for my own healing. While Dwayne's death is not really "trauma" in my life, I'm still well ensconced in my own grieving, and not really at a point where I can be objective and outgoing about helping others heal. But, this is the time scheduled for the class here on campus, and I wasn't sure when it would be scheduled again, so I decided to take advantage of it.

Based on the course schedule, I'm hoping I'll be able to post to this blog, but... if I go silent, you'll know why!

No comments:

Post a Comment