Saturday, April 14, 2018

Happy Quarter Century, Julian!!!

A couple of months ago, I received an email from one of my former IBM colleagues, a co-worker from the UK. He was to celebrate his induction into the Quarter Century Club (QCC) at IBM - 25 years of service. Since he works with a lot of US folks, he asked his manager and was approved to have his celebratory dinner in the US, and his email was to invite me to join him for his dinner. I was so surprised and pleased to be asked, and, since we were scheduled to be in Dallas during the time of his dinner, I made plans to fly to Colorado Springs and join him for his celebration. The date of the dinner was yesterday, April 13.

So... yesterday morning, Dwayne and I took a drive that used to be so familiar - for him to drop me off at DFW to catch a flight... but I was shocked at how un-familiar it was now! I used to always have a bag partially packed with the "essentials" -- have not had that for a long, LONG time. I determined to just be extra early and not stress - and it was good that I had, as something in my bag raised suspicions (I still don't know what it was) and I got an extra special inspection of my bags and my person! Since I had gotten to the airport so early, it was no issue on making the flight, but it was rather un-nerving nonetheless! The picture was of the security line (which was not all that long, but was moving very slowly) before I got my "extra-special inspection" attention.
Another American Airlines plane on the tarmac at DFW. There was quite a line-up waiting to depart. It was very windy but warm in the Dallas area, and it must have rained some at the airport after I got there.

In Colorado Springs, it was windy and COLD! Evidently it had been up to 80F on Thursday in Colorado, but it didn't make it to 40F on Friday... and by the time I was driving to the hotel where the dinner was to take place, it was below freezing and there were snow flurries!!! That's Pike's Peak in the distance, it just looks like white clouds above the darker, closer mountains, but the peak itself is snow-capped.

Julian's dinner was to take place in the Penrose Room at the Broadmoor Hotel in Colorado Springs. This was a view outside the window of the lounge area where we had drinks before dinner.

I stole this pictures of the front of the hotel from Julian's Facebook page!
While we were in the lounge area, we made our menu choices and Julian opened cards and gifts...

Our celebration crew! Andrew (seated), Tony and Kevin (standing), Adrian (seated - Julian's brother), Adrian's girlfriend - Justine, Patti, Kevin's wife - Sue, Tony's wife - Tencia, Julian (another picture stolen from Julian's Facebook!)

Julian's Boulder Colleagues - Kevin (hosting manager), Tony, Andrew, and Julian - Julian has just opened a Shutterfly book of pictures of places around Colorado that he has visited while on his business trips in this area to teach them classes on the use of the tools for course development. Such a creative way to celebrate his work with them in Colorado!

A very creative note!
 Julian, Congrats on your <quarter> with IBM.
You <WALKER>d over <Rocky Road>s to teach us <Scatterbrain>s, <SLO-POKE>s, and <NERDS> Framemaker & Class Author.
I know we made you <Chuckles> with some of our questions.
After a few more phrases like <Hubba-Bubba> & <ABBA>ca<-DABA> we became <Smarties>er. We <SKOR>d big.
UR Our <Lifesaver>. U <Rocks> and are Numero <UNO>.

Another of Julian's FB post pictures - our group in the dining room. I think this must have been when our entree's had just come - based on the huge bowl in front of me!
We had a delicious multi-course meal (I think there were 7 courses) - we each selected our Appetizer, Entree, and Dessert, and then there were 3 or 4 additional offerings that came between our selected items.

My appetizer: Spring Vegetable Bouillon - Tuscan Kale, Green Garlic, La Ratte Potato Dumplings, Parmigiano Reggiano

My entree: Slow-Cooked Fillet of Sablefish - English Peas, Wild Leeks, Broadmoor Garden Mint, Sweet Onion Soubise

One of the "extra" courses - this was a chocolate sorbet - yum!

My dessert: Banana Praline Gateau - Chocolate Sable, Hazelnut Sponge, Banana Caramel, Passion fruit Coulis, Salted Caramel Ice Cream
The dinner was great. When each item was served, the wait staff would explain (if it was one of the "extras" and we all had the same thing) what it was, or if it was one of the courses on which we had made a selection - they would explain which each person had gotten! It was so nice to have been included in Julian's special event!

Leaving this morning (Saturday) - it is a little easier to see Pike's Peak. Still cold and windy in Colorado Springs!

No comments:

Post a Comment