Thursday, May 30, 2019

Robo-calls at the Welcome Desk!

I filled in at the Welcome Desk on Wednesday afternoon... about halfway through my time there, at a time when all the switchboard calls were forwarded to the Welcome Desk phone... a robocall started calling through on all the lines on campus... over and over and over the phone rang - all 4 lines at the Welcome Desk were ringing at the same time.

I answered the first one, "International Linguist...." I started, but was interrupted by "Nihao..." followed by more words in Chinese (I guess, I only recognized "Nihao" or "Hello"). I could tell that it was a recorded voice, so I hung up to go to the next call... again, "Nihao..." - as quickly as I answered one call, another call came in.

My guess is that the robocaller was calling through all the numbers on campus. Some of them were answered by the people whose desk phone was being called, but, if the person wasn't at their desk, and their phone automatically forwards to the switchboard... well... they came to me.

I was answering these calls continuously for several minutes! I am guessing that there were more than 50 or 100 calls! The incoming number was the same area code and exchange, but the last 4 numbers were continuously changing.

After it was done, I wondered if Candid Camera was around!

No comments:

Post a Comment