Friday, May 31, 2019

Languages

So... how many known languages do you think there are in the world?

The answer continues to change, but right now, it is at more than 7000 (I've seen from 7,111 to 7,362). The number goes up as new languages are identified, and it may reduce as a language initially thought to be a separate language is determined to be the same as another, or as a language dies out.

How many languages have the complete Bible in their language?

This number is also changing (thankfully, going up as translations are completed), but it is somewhere around 670 languages.

How many have any scripture in their language?
According to the Seed Company website (https://seedcompany.com/), 4866 have either the complete Bible, the New Testament, or, at least, Bible translation has begun.
 2,184 languages have no Scripture in their language.

Here are some pictures from a panel that was displayed during the Explore Bible Translation class that I attended.




If you were previously in the 72%, I hope now you are in the 28% who are aware!!


I think that this might be the most heart-rending quote, as people who do not have the Bible sometimes believe that it is because God only loves those who speak English, or French, or whatever language they know has a Bible in their language - that He is not God for them.

Target: 0 people without Scripture, 0 people waiting to hear God speak their language, 0 people who haven't heard of His love.

When I think about how many English translations I have access to, how I often switch from one to another to get a different perspective on Scripture, how dependent I am on reading God's Word and hearing from God through His Word, I realize how incredibly wealthy I am, and it makes me want to make a difference for those who do not have God's Word available in a language that they can understand.

1 comment:

  1. "How can your God love me if can't speak my language?"
    I cannot get that quote out of my mind.

    My question then, "Is now what Lord? How do You want to use me in this?"

    ReplyDelete