Saturday, August 17, 2019

Getting things done...

I had a number of items on my to-do list with regard to the Jeep, and decided that today was the day to get going on them... I was driven by the fact that I'm attending a class in Irving starting on Monday evening, and taking 3 other folks from campus with me, so I wanted to be sure that the Jeep would be working well.
  • The ventilation system had been making a clicking noise for years. I remember that Dwayne pulled into the area of the dash two years ago when we were in Washington State, but was not able to determine exactly what needed to be taken care of. We had talked about taking it in for service, but it seemed to work okay, just making a noise that was kind of like the one that we used to make by using a clothes pin to attach a playing card next to the spokes of our bicycles when we were kids - a fast clicking noise - and just for a few seconds when the ventilation system cut on. When our friend, Gayle, visited me earlier this year, she heard it and said that she had had a Jeep that made that noise and the Jeep dealership was able to fix it. I had called the local Jeep dealership and the service advisor wanted me to bring it in and leave it for a few days... I said I couldn't do that, it was my only transportation (I guess I *could* drive Miss Doozie around, but that would be a bit much!). She suggested that I come in on a Saturday when it was "first come, first served", so, today was the day to do that!
  • While there, the service guy found a couple of other things that he suggested could use attention; one was to clean the battery contacts as there was corrosion on them. I agreed for them to do that (this comes into the story later...).
  • My watch band needed to be replaced, and you can't buy watch bands at Walmart anymore (I think most people just buy new watches nowadays!). A friend here on campus had suggested a jewelry store a few weeks ago that I visited to get a new battery for the watch - so I returned there today and got a new watch band.
  • I also needed an oil change, but decided that it would be better to have that done somewhere other than the Jeep dealership as they were quite busy. I headed down into Cedar Hill (a little south of where I am). The first place I went (Speedee) was quite busy and said that there would be an hour wait before they could even start on the oil change (not so Speedee!) - but that they usually weren't so busy later. I had other things to do so I decided to deal with it later.
  • My phone has been not holding a charge very well, so I headed to the Verizon store. I had called them from the waiting room at the Jeep dealership, and the fellow I spoke with said that they could take care of getting me a new battery if I had a device service policy. I said that I thought I did, and I checked online, and I did. But... when I got there, the fellow who started to help me said, "Oh, we don't deal with batteries here." I said that I had talked to a fellow earlier and that person said that they could help me, so the current guy went off to check. He came back out a few minutes later, and called me over, saying that they didn't have the batteries, but he could make an appointment for me at another place that would take care of it. Well... at this point, I lost it... weeping... I don't know whether from frustration that I wasn't able to get the oil change done, I wasn't able to get the phone battery replaced, I missed Dwayne... all of the above... I asked him if he could complete the request without me there, and headed out of the store.
  • Walmart was across the street from Verizon, and I remembered that Dwayne and I had previously had oil changes done at Walmart, so I decided to head there. They didn't have a long line, just the one vehicle in front of me who was in the process of getting the oil change done. I was still weepy, and asked the young man who was processing me in to just decide which kind of oil change I should get. I told him that this was the first time I was having to do this since my husband passed away, and I would just trust what he would recommend. He assured me that he would take care of what I needed and that I had made a good decision in bringing it there. It was also cheaper than Speedee, so I think it probably was a good choice...
  • I also needed to get a Texas state inspection completed. In Texas, you have to get the inspection done in the 90 days before you renew your registration. The Jeep's registration runs out in October, so I'm within the 90 days, and figured I can get it done anytime between now and October. I stopped at Sonic to get iced tea and a burger, and there was a Texas state inspection station right next door, so I went there. They could take it right away... so I went inside the building to wait. When the guy came in, he asked me if I had had electrical work or work on my battery done recently. I said that I had, that they had cleaned the contacts this morning. He said that he could not pull the codes from the vehicle, and that was required to pass inspection. He said that I need to drive the Jeep 60-70 miles so it will show the codes, and that if I bring it back to that station within 15 days, they will complete the inspection with no additional charge. So, that task has to remain on my to-do list.
  • I called the place that I need to go to get the phone battery replaced... I was thinking that I might head there this afternoon, but he said that it would take 1.5-2 hours so he wouldn't recommend it. I figured that I should do a backup of my phone before taking it in anyway, so that's probably just as well - so that's on my to-do list too.
I was very disappointed about losing it in the Verizon store (and with the Walmart auto care guy)... I have been doing "well" I thought in dealing with my grief, at least not letting it spill over onto random people. But, I recognize that the six month-versary of Dwayne's death was this week, half a year has passed - in some ways, it seems like it was forever ago, and in other ways it seems that he just left. I have "soft" plans that I will be wanting to get out of the RV by the 1 year anniversary - electing to stay in it for a year to satisfy the recommendation to "not make major changes in the first year". That would mean that I'm halfway to that point.

In addition, I was doing things today that particularly emphasized my loss of Dwayne, doing things for the first time that he previously would have done or at least done with me. He definitely would have made the decisions about where to go to get the tasks done. The "firsts" are hard.

All the "dealing with grief" books and counseling say that progress is frequently unsteady, that you'll feel that you're progressing and then have a set-back. I realize that my environment is not ideal for grieving the loss of Dwayne; everyone that I interact with on a daily basis never knew Dwayne; they only know me as a single woman; it is easy to ignore the reality that I've lost Dwayne - until I get back to the bus and Miss Kitty. If I were still living in our former home on Meadowglen Circle, I would daily see folks who knew and cared about Dwayne, and there would be those who could reminisce with me. So, it isn't odd that I would have a set-back, and everyone's grief is unique, and this is just how mine displayed itself today. Just a reminder to me that I've still got a ways to go...

And, in spite of the grief, I got a number of to-do's done. In addition to the things listed above, I got enough cleared out of the "garage" part of the "Jee-rage" to allow 3 people other than me to ride in it on Monday evening. So, it has been a good day, even if it contained a few more tears that I may have wished.

I know that I have lots of friends and family who continue to pray for me, and I appreciate it more than I can tell you. Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment