Wednesday, August 28, 2019

Thankful for clean water

Over the past few weeks/days, I had been noticing that my water pressure in the bus was low, and that there was an odor to the water, particularly if I was drawing hot water.

I decided this past weekend that it was time to try to find out what the problem was. I asked one of my RV park neighbors if she had noticed a bad smell to the water, and she had not, so I figured it was a problem with my water, not the park. I first drew some water directly from the spigot - no smell. Then I disconnected the hose from the rig and smelled the water coming out of the hose - no smell. So... somewhere in the bus, the water was acquiring a smell - since it was particularly noticeable with hot water, I was concerned it could be the water heater, but I decided to look at the water filter.

Dwayne had put a label on the filter the last time it was changed, 11/1/2018, indicating that it should be changed again on May 1, 2019... I had obviously missed that date. We already had ordered a replacement filter, so it was on the bus. I found it, and then tried to loosen the housing that holds the filter - the housing is about 6-7" in diameter, hard for me to get my hands around, and smooth plastic, hard to get a grip. I just couldn't get it loosened. I prayed for help and tried again, but still couldn't loosen it. I looked around the RV park to see if anyone was outside - but it was hot and mid-afternoon, no one out and about. I prayed God would send help, still nothing. I decided I'd just be patient and in a few minutes, my neighbor came walking back to his rig. I asked if he could give me a hand - he readily agreed and came to see what I needed. When he first saw it, he said, "Wow, that's big!" (I could have told him that *everything* about Miss Doozie is big, thus her name!) - when he first tried, he also had no success, but when he tried a second time, it came loose! Hallelujah!

When we got it totally loose, I definitely smelled the same smell in there that had been coming out of my faucets. I pulled out the old filter, washed out the housing, and put the new filter in. Then I tried drawing water through the faucets in the bus. Initially, it was dirty and nasty water, but in a few minutes, it cleared up - clear, clean, non-smelly water! What a joy!!!

I've made a new label to remind me to change the filter in 6 months. I will be watching out for any signs that the water is getting smelly or discolored. I'm thinking I might do it sooner than 6 months just to be sure...

By the way, we don't cook or drink the tap water, so it was only when I was washing dishes or showering that I noticed the smell - it still kinda grosses me out that I washed dishes and myself with this rather nasty water... but I'm choosing not to think about it!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment