Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Afghanistan Painting - GWB Presidential Library and Museum

The docent called my attention to this painting in the "Liberty is the Hope" wall of the museum.

"Windows of Opportunity"
You can see a better representation of it here: http://www.canesforcourage.com/paintings/

I copied the following from Major (Retired) Steven McAlpin's LinkedIn page:
Taking advantage of a transfer to Kabul, I painted a picture of American soldiers delivering some of the 208 desks and benches made for the school by the 92nd Engineer Battalion. I framed the acrylic on plywood painting with a window frame I purchased from the newly-renovated Teacher's Training College, also in Kabul. I mailed the painting to President and Mrs. Bush where it was warmly received.
I was surprised to learn in mid-2013, that the painting was to be featured at the G. W. Bush Presidential Library and Museum at Southern Methodist University in Dallas, TX. I traveled to Dallas to see the painting for myself. As I was describing each of the 17 details to some friends, the museum director, Mr. Alan Lowe approached me with some unbelievable statistics: of the roughly 43,000 gifts the First Family received over 8 years, only 300 were selected to be in the opening exhibit of the museum. I found my painting protected in a glass case nestled just above a shawl from the Dalai Lama, and a hand-written poem by Cuban dissident, Oscar Bissett.
Needless to say - I am thrilled that my painting had been recognized in such a prominent manner.

No comments:

Post a Comment