Sunday, December 13, 2015

Prices for doing laundry...

You know... I should start a spreadsheet to start tracking prices for doing laundry... There really doesn't seem to be much rhyme or reason to the prices.

At campgrounds, there are generally just one size of machine, 4-6 washers, maybe the same number of dryers (sometimes only one or two of each - I tend to pass if that is the case - if I have to single thread, it takes too long!).

At laundromats (or lavanderia in Texas), there are usually a large number of machines, and many different sizes. Some places will have the front loaders labeled as "2x", "3x", "4x", I have even seen "5x" - the size of a top loader wash load.

Now... given our storage space, the only way I would have enough laundry for a "5x" would be if I did all our laundry, including all linens, in one big load without any sorting - so the larger capacity washers aren't very useful for me.

But I do like the ability to do 2-4 loads all at the same time (in different washers) and get all of my laundry day done in the space of 2 hours.

Yesterday, Dwayne dropped me off at the laundromat near the RV service center while he went to do other chores. Right after he left, and I had put the wash loads on, I realized that I should have gotten a second roll of quarters to take in with me (I had used almost all I had in the washers). But, this laundromat had a change machine, so I got $5 in quarters to have a ready supply.

That's when I noticed that the dryers were indicated as "free" and this sign:
Free Dry with Wash
Whoo-hoo!!! and the wash prices were pretty reasonable too - $2 for a regular top-loader and $2.25 for a front-loader that I could put a comforter in.

The free dry seemed to be only for the "regular" size dryers (which are still plenty big to dry a comforter in). I couldn't quite figure out - there were some folks who were using the 2x dryers - for which they had to pay... but maybe they were the guys doing bulk laundry (many laundromats will do laundry for you for so much per pound).

No comments:

Post a Comment