Sunday, February 21, 2016

Prairie dogs (or maybe Ground Squirrels?) - this area's ground hogs

>>> Updated on 2/26: One of my friends let me know that the animals that we saw were ground squirrels instead of prairie dogs... so for the rest of this entry, substitute "ground squirrel" everywhere I typed "prairie dog"!  ;-)

There are prairie dogs all over the hills around and through the campground. I think they are prairie dogs - we looked up gophers, prairie dogs, and ground hogs, and they most resemble the description of prairie dogs. They look like kinda fat squirrels who carry their tails very low to the ground and live in burrows in the ground. I am convinced if my Dad was here, he would be swerving the car to take out some of the numerous prairie dogs around the area!



The hillsides are completely pock-marked with the burrows of these guys. I didn't notice their holes in the pastures; if they are also in the pastures, I am sure that would be bad for the horses and cattle.

No comments:

Post a Comment