Friday, February 12, 2016

Visit to Reagan Library - part 1

We visited the Reagan Presidential Library and Museum in Simi Valley today. I started looking through my pictures and I'm not exactly sure what I want to write about... but I am already setting the "title" to "part 1" because I know I'm going to do multiple parts.

You might remember that we visited the George W Bush Presidential Library and Museum in Dallas in December. http://trekincartwrights.blogspot.com/2015/12/george-w-bush-presidential-library-and.html

We had honestly never had much interest in visiting Presidential Libraries, but RVing friends of ours from Ohio mentioned that they were going, so we thought we should not miss out on visiting one in what had been our "back yard". While there, we discovered that there are currently 13 Presidential Libraries (one for each of the presidents from Herbert Hoover - George W Bush), and that at least raised our awareness. I also think that last year, when someone was telling us about the other Thousand Trails parks in this area of California, they may have mentioned that the Reagan Library was a drive-able distance from one of them.

Anyway, when we decided to try visiting the two Thousand Trails parks in this area north of Los Angeles, we decided that visiting the Reagan Library would make it onto our to-do list, and today was the day.

It was about an hour's drive from the campground to the library (it would have been longer if the traffic on the freeways was doing the 65 MPH speed limit instead of 70-80 most of the time!). I had looked into taking the train (MetroLink has a station near the campground) but the train trip was estimated as over 3 hours (you have to take the train into downtown LA and then back out) followed by about a 2 hour walk, so... we decided to drive!

When we got there, one of the docents met us at the door and recommended that we consider becoming a "friend" of the Library, that would allow us to enter all of the Libraries for a year for that one fee. We decided that we would like to have the opportunity to visit some of the others, so signed up for that.

As I mentioned when I wrote about the GWB Library, I thought I found it interesting because I had lived through that history. With the Reagan Library, even though technically I was an adult throughout his presidency (I graduated from college in 1981 soon after his first inauguration), I was surprised by things that happened during his presidency, and by how little I felt I was aware of what went on.

Things that stood out:

- While I knew that he had been an actor before going into politics, I didn't know that he had worked for GE, traveling all over the country, speaking at events, talking one-on-one with employees to get their views. This experience was a great influence on his political views.
- I haven't really thought about him being in movies... and I would be interested to try to see if some of them are available to be seen now (especially if they are free on Amazon Prime!). (Update: I checked, there are some on Amazon Prime!)

- In an age before computers, notes for speeches and quotes that he might want to remember for using in a speech were kept on index cards. Also his love of having funny stories to tell, and his use of quotes from children for humor.
From the information plaque: In the 1950s, Ronald Reagan began his private collection of inspiring, compelling, and even just entertaining quotes. These were drawn from such diverse figures as Greek playwright Aristophanes, Roman philosopher Cicero, President John Adams, and Indian freedom fighter Mahatma Gandhi. To organize these quotes, Ronald Reagan copied out each one carefully in his own hand on index cars, and placed them in this album. Some of his favorite cards were stored casually wrapped with a rubber band and tossed into his briefcase. Over the next forty years, the ideas in this notebook became a valuable resource for his speeches, radio addresses, and letters. Many of his most famous quips and one-liners were inspired by these notes which also reflect the many sides of Ronald Reagan: his love for family, his commitment to democracy, his faith, his humor, and above all, his belief in self-expression.The wit and wisdom he showed in his speeches earned him the title The Great Communicator.
This was a display of notes from children while he was Governor of California. The information plaque said: Out of the Mouths of Babes: In many speeches, Ronald Reagan used excerpts like these from children's letters, even cautionary notes. "Before I get started," one correspondent wrote, "I warn you, I'm only a girl of ten - and a Democrat, too."
 I don't think you'll be able to read those on the picture, so I'll transcribe:
Note 1:
Dear Governor Reagan:
Yesterday I saw a bumper sticker that said "Ronald Reagan eats peanut butter."
I want to know if it's true.
Please write back.
Kathy Johnson
P.S. No offense.

Note 2:
Dear Honorable Sir:
I want to know if you think diagramming sentences is important later on in life. In fact, our whole class wants to know if you had to diagram sentences in the seventh grade.
Did it help you to speak? I hate diagramming sentences.
Sincerely,
Wally

Note 3:
Dear Governor Reagan:
I wrote to you one before about having to go to school on my birthday -- and nothing happened.
My next birthday is a month away and I am wondering what your plans are.
Let me hear from you soon
Jeff

Note 4:
Dear Mr. Governor:
Have you ever heard of the Dumbarton Bridge? If you have -- could you maybe change the name please? It would sure help me with the kids at school.
Yours Truly,
Betsy Barton
P.S. If you can't change the name -- could you just take off the Dum?


More in part 2!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment