Saturday, September 10, 2016

A short trip to Saint-Hyacinthe

We are making our way to a campground near Kingston, ON so we can drive down to Watertown, NY to deal with a few necessities.
Our site in the Camping Transit campground, Levis, QC
We have stopped at a Walmart for the night. There are other stores in the same mall, a Canadian Tire, and...
.... this store - which is a store that is common in the US, but I didn't recognize their "brand" here... do you?
This brought to mind a couple of funny highway signs.
We didn't take this picture (I got it off an image on the internet), but it was a sign we saw as we were heading for the Levis - Quebec ferry, and the image is one that is used on the highway signs to indicate a ferry landing. I think it looks like the ferry only takes cars, because the truck is stuck back on the shore... and it also looks like it might be quite a "bump" as you launch off off the wharf onto the ferry (being as it is so high) but maybe those are not intended to be the implications of the sign!
Another sign I saw today was one of the lit-up message signs that can indicate current traffic issues, etc. It indicated: "A-20-Ouest Circulation Fluide". We were on route 20 heading west (ouest)... and my first thought was, "oh no, there's blood on the road ahead..." I *think* it was telling me that traffic was flowing well ahead of us, and that is what we found, and no blood, but who knows!

I successfully navigated two construction zones where they wanted all the trucks and vehicles pulling trailers to be in the left lane. At first I thought the sign indicated that trucks should not use the shoulder at that point (we were in front of a weigh station when I first saw it), but I looked carefully and realized that they wanted big rigs in the left lane. At that point, it was due to a construction area where the right lane traveled on the shoulder for a while, so I was glad to be on "normal" road surface. The second time, the two lanes split, and it indicated that the right lane had a width of 3.5m and the left lane a width of 4.5m. My calculation in my head implied that we could fit in either, but even though the left lane had a bit of curving around (it redirected onto the inside lane of the other side of the freeway, with the trucks on the other side of "Jersey barriers" from us), wider is better in my estimation when "driving Miss Doozie".

As I was typing in this entry, I noticed the picture and words on the building across the freeway from us (we are right next to the freeway in the Walmart parking lot)...
Other signs on the building indicate "International", "Les Camions" (truck), and "CAT" with the distinctive Caterpillar logo, so I think it is a truck sales or service place - but, does anyone else see "LoneStar" in that logo on the window to the right of the big truck front end??? Texas advertising in Quebec???
Ok, finally, the answer to the other store in this shopping area, the "Bureau en Gros" store is Staples - I only knew it because I was looking for a wifi signal and found a signal labeled "StaplesTECH".

No comments:

Post a Comment