Sunday, September 11, 2016

Rememberings from 15 years ago

I have heard it said that 9/11/2001 is a date that any of us living at that time would remember what we were doing and where we were - much as things like the day of the assassination of President Kennedy or the bombing of Pearl Harbor would be for others or other generations.

A friend of mine posted a link to this magazine story on Facebook, and I read it with interest:
http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/09/were-the-only-plane-in-the-sky-214230
It is a reminder of how we didn't think of terrorism in those days - the first thought where I was working that day was that a terrible accident had occurred and that the plane was just a private aircraft that somehow went horribly wrong. But the second plane disproved that notion and we entered a different way of life in the U.S. from that day onwards.

It was also a reminder of how much technology has changed in the last 15 years - live updates via cellphones always at hand is a relatively new thing (and I know that everyone doesn't take advantage of being connected in that way!!! I'm thinking about my dear brother and sister-in-law!).

No comments:

Post a Comment