Sunday, September 25, 2016

Things I'm happy for being back in the US, and laundry considerations

We thoroughly enjoyed our time in Canada, but it is still nice to be back "home" in the US.

Things I'm thankful for:
  • I don't need to keep track of every purchase to be ready to account for it to the US customs and immigration upon return to the US.
  • We can purchase fruits and vegetables without a requirement to consume them all before a certain date.
  • We have unlimited data internet again (hurrah!!!).
  • We are making our way back to the DFW area where we can worship in person with our church body again!
  • We can stay at Thousand Trails for no charge other than the dues/card fees we've already paid (plus $3/day if we want to get 50A) and have full hookups.
One of the things that we've been considering is whether we want to remove the washer/dryer in Miss Doozie. We had not been using it very much up to this point in our living in the bus, and I would look at the space it took up and think, "wow, more storage, maybe we could build a real kitty-privy in there and I could get the space back under my sink.."

A couple of campgrounds ago - when we were at Rideau Acres, we had full hookups (sewer connection) and we didn't find a mention of a laundry on their map, so we decided to do laundry "in house". Granted it is a bit of a pain as the washer and the dryer are the same unit - if you think about your washer and dryer at home, usually the cubic footage of the dryer is about 3 times that of the washer. So, if I wash a full load, I have to take 2/3 of it out (wet) and dry 1/3 at a time. Or, I can wash approximately 1/3 of a load and let it do the whole job from beginning to end.

A load of wash puts about 1/4 of a tank of grey water out - so it is definitely helpful to have sewer hookups. But, theoretically, I could do two loads and still only have a half-full grey tank - it definitely means that I need to have the ability to dump more often than once a week which is our normal need, but it isn't impossible to do even when we're boondocking or just on electric hookups.

So... the net is... now I'm thinking that I want to keep the washer/dryer. I've lived without the undersink storage for almost a year, what would I put in there anyway?!?!?!  And Tabitha would probably think it was some cruel plot if we moved her privy to a new location...

No comments:

Post a Comment