Friday, June 9, 2017

A visit to Forest Lawn

When we were out on Monday, I realized that we were driving near Forest Lawn Cemetery where my Granny, Grandpa, and Aunt Libby are buried. I had not gone to see the foot-stone for Aunt Libby, so, even though it was raining, decided to go by to see it in place.

Dwayne took some pictures in the rain...
Family plot

Aunt Libby's stone

Grandpa's stone

Granny's stone
I was executrix for Aunt Libby's estate, and had thought that getting the foot-stone in place would be my last official duty... but... in April I got a letter from the IRS on her final tax return, indicating that there were two missing 1099 forms and that her estate owed more taxes. I contacted the CPA who prepared the final return to check - I figured it was not unlikely that I missed some 1099s -- when Aunt Libby died in February, 2013, I had her mail forwarded, but, by the time tax information was coming in early 2014, the forwarding order was expired, so the mail would have been sent back with a forwarding address indicated. Unfortunately, some of the companies did not ultimately forward the mail to the new address. I was able to find some of them, but I obviously missed two (they were from companies with whom I had communicated, but evidently a different "group" within the company). Anyway, the CPA said that they were indeed missed, but that there should not be any additional taxes due, so he wrote a letter for my signature to send to the IRS. I doubt that's the last I will hear of it, but I'm hoping!

No comments:

Post a Comment