Saturday, June 17, 2017

Poison Ivy Prevention

During the winter, we received mail at niece Ginny and Josh's house that contained a Poison Ivy Preventative that Jimmy had read about in a farm magazine. A compounding pharmacy in Oklahoma was the source for the preventative (Jimmy suggested we drive by there at some point but I figured it was easier to get it mailed to us).

When I was a kid, I would get *awful* cases of poison ivy. The worst was actually in the winter when dad had cleared some brush and we then ran through the smoke playing - as I recall - during my brother's birthday celebration which would have been end of January. I got such an awful case, only on my face - my face was swollen and I remember mom had to come in the mornings with a warm damp washcloth to wipe my eyes as they would have glued shut overnight. I probably wasn't more than 12 years old but I still remember it! Another time, in the summer, I got a bad case on my legs because I rode my pony bareback with me wearing shorts - and of course the pony had been rolling in poison ivy at some point and had the oil on his fur.

I haven't gotten a rash from poison ivy in many years, but I fanatically avoid coming in contact with it. I have been surprised how many campgrounds, particularly public campgrounds (state and national parks), have a lot of it growing around between the campsites. I guess it is "natural" (like mosquitoes).
There were 3 vials in the package. The instructions indicated that you should take the solution from one vial and hold it in your mouth for 30 seconds and then swallow it. The dose should be repeated on the same day of the week for 3 consecutive weeks. The recommendation was to take it during the winter months when it is unlikely that you will be exposed to the poisonous plants, so that was what I did. Needless to say, I avoided running through smoke during the winter months!
Dwayne and I both took it several months ago... so far, we haven't gotten any rash from poison ivy, but we also have avoided contact. However, now that we are at the farm, it is always possible that we'll come in contact with the plant...
It's a pretty plant, right?

Just trying to avoid contact!



Information from the pharmacy in case anyone wants to get some for their own use.
http://ericspharmacy.com/poison-ivy-prevention-formula/

No comments:

Post a Comment