Saturday, July 8, 2017

80 year old flooring - what to do with it?

The house I grew up in was built by my grandfather, my dad, and his brothers in the late 1930s. They weren't finished carpenters, but they cut the boards and built a house. The house was serviceable, but not a great house, lots of things could have been done better, I suppose. My nephew and brother took the house down a couple of years ago, keeping a lot of the pieces of it for re-use. My nephew then built the house for their family on the same site.

One of the things that they have a LOT of is the oak flooring that was in the house. It is not of the current "style":

the boards are narrow (from about 2" to about 3"),
and a flooring guy told my nephew it wasn't worth reusing as it was not thick enough (it is 3/4").
It is possible that the flooring guy just did not want to mess with it; regardless, they put down new.

 The board lengths range 10'-14'.

The pictures show just some of it, there are probably about 1600 sq ft of it.
My brother is contemplating using it in various building projects (we're about to put a roof on a storage container) or using it for heating the house (burn it up), but... it seems to us that there would be some use for it. I have had people recommend that we look at projects in Pinterest... but... we're just not "in" to that...

Does anyone know of a use for this flooring? If we were going to sell it, say on Craigslist, any ideas about pricing?

No comments:

Post a Comment