Sunday, November 12, 2017

Waiting on packages

A few weeks ago we had placed orders and were waiting on packages in Seaside, Oregon.

Now we're waiting on packages in Grants Pass, Oregon.

In this case, the fellow who had all 10 of the airbags that we want to install on Miss Doozie was in Clearwater, Florida, about as far as possible in the continental US as you can get from us in Oregon. I don't know why I didn't think to ask him to ship them express... but I didn't...

He gave us the master shipping number, and I had been watching our shipment making its way across the country.

On Friday, I could see that the information indicated that the package was in Troutdale, Oregon.
So... I was surprised, but happy, to get a call on Friday from Cody at Henderson's that our packages had arrived there. I had indicated on the website that I wanted notifications from FedEx, and I hadn't gotten notified that it was there, but I figured the notification was just lagging behind... not usual, but... that's what I figured.

A little later, Cody called me again and said that they had opened the boxes, and only 3 air bags had arrived, not all 10. He suggested that I might want to check with the shipper on when the others would arrive.

I had seen from the screen that there were 10 pieces - but I didn't realize that they were not all traveling the same path.

Now I took a closer look at the screen and noticed that there was an expansion option to "show" under the "10 Piece shipment".
OK, now I can see 6 items, and, sure enough, the bottom one has been delivered. Wonder why they show "10 Piece shipment" but only 6 tracking numbers... maybe some of the packages were combined into one tracking number?

The master tracking number was still on its way, so that's why I had not gotten notified about delivery.
And... the last column... "Scheduled delivery" shows the others coming 11/13, but one of them 11/14... bummer!!!

So... I'm wondering about the 6 tracking number and 10 pieces, and I scrolled right to take a look at other information that might be available...
Now I can see the delivery date of the one that I could see that had been delivered, and... There's a scroll bar way over there on the right!

So, scrolling down, I can see that 3 have been delivered on Friday, so the information agrees with reality... and thankfully, only the one in the upper part of the scrolling area is coming after 11/13, and none are later than 11/14.

Selecting each item, I can see the routes they have taken... I suspect no one else would be this interested... but I was surprised at all the different routes these 10 packages have taken:
My spreadsheet...
Things I noted:
- One of the packages left Tampa later than the other 9, but made up time and is now in Central Point (from which it will make it to Grants Pass on Monday).
- The one which is coming a day later lost a day in Orlando - somehow it didn't get on a truck out of Orlando on Tuesday... maybe it was busy visiting a mouse at Disney? It also has gone through Atlanta and recently, Washington state (last scan, last night was Issaquah, WA), while the others made it directly from one of several different cities in Idaho to Troutdale, OR.

I'm sure that there are computer programs that direct which package goes on which truck. I'm sure there are also sometimes human failures that keep a package from going onto a truck when it should (Orlando). I find routing information fascinating....

So... net is that we probably won't get the airbags installed until Wednesday... maybe as early as Tuesday afternoon... oh well... it will happen when God wants it to happen! And, in the meantime, we're planning to help out in the collection center for Operation Christmas Child shoeboxes at Henderson's while we are here.

No comments:

Post a Comment