Wednesday, November 29, 2017

Swap Meet

When we were in Palmdale a couple of years ago, we visited the swap meet (https://trekincartwrights.blogspot.com/2016/02/antelope-valley-swap-meet.html), so we had planned to go there again. On the weekend, we stopped by there on Saturday (we had understood that it was open Friday, Saturday, and Sunday) - while it was technically open, there were very few booths occupied within the swap meet (there were a few fruit and vegetable vendors outside).

So, we decided to return on Sunday... and it was *very* busy. The parking lot was about 75% full (and it has a large lot) and nearly all the vendor booths were occupied. We enjoy just looking around... Dwayne enjoys looking at tools, and I enjoy looking for a couple of wrenches from sets that Dad had, of which each set is missing a single wrench.
It is rather like a treasure hunt to look for two specific wrenches!

There were a few tool vendors at this swap meet...

This picture doesn't make it look very busy, but it really was pretty crowded (I didn't want to look too much like a tourist standing around taking pictures!).

This was the first time that I had even seen a "POWR-KRAFT" - in fact, in my list of wrenches to look for, I had it written down as "Power Craft". 

I called my brother to ensure that this was indeed the way the brand was spelled, and he confirmed that it was. Unfortunately, this was not the size I was searching for (I'm looking for 7/16" POWR-KRAFT and 5/8" Blue Point - in case anyone else wants to join in the treasure hunt!).
I have seen Blue Point wrenches a few times (it seems that Blue Point was the early name used on what became Snap-On tools), but I had not seen Powr-Kraft before. So, even though it was not the correct item, it was like accomplishing a goal just to see one! It seems that Powr-Kraft was the brand name of Montgomery Ward & Co.'s tools.

It is fun to have a goal!!!

p.s. after writing this post, on a whim, I went to check online to see if I could find either wrench (particularly since I now knew how to spell it correctly) - and I found the Powr-Kraft one on eBay! I checked with my brother and he confirmed that it would be an appropriate match to the set - so it is now ordered and being sent to my brother's! Hurrah!!!

p.p.s. I also looked for the Blue Point wrench on eBay, and although I found some, none are a match to the set that Dad had... now awaiting a picture from my brother so I'll know exactly what to hunt for!

No comments:

Post a Comment