Friday, February 9, 2018

A visit to the Yuma Library

When we were in Yuma last year, I went to the Yuma library and signed up for a card. Because I had a package (Amazon shipment) that had been sent to me at the site in Cactus Blossom, I was considered a "local resident" and able to get a free library card.

I have thoroughly enjoyed having the card this past year as I have used it to access eBooks and audiobooks. I have become addicted particularly to audiobooks - enjoying listening to them while doing tasks around the bus or driving.

On Wednesday, we visited the local library branch.
Foothills Branch...
I have appreciated using the library so much this year, but have felt a bit guilty using it as a Yuma resident as I really didn't feel that I was a resident in Yuma. They allow folks who are not residents here to get a library card for $25 per year, so I planned to just go ahead and apply as a non-resident. When I went in, though, the lady at the desk asked if the address that I had given was still where we were (it is, but I made sure she knew it was not our permanent address) - she asked if we had gotten any mail there (we have - Amazon packages as well as an order from Chewy.com - cat food!) - and she convinced me that we qualify as residents and renewed our card for another year!

I had sent a contribution to the library in the past year after they acquired an audiobook that I recommended. The library has a very easy-to-use website on which you can search for books, and if the library does not have the title you are looking for, you can press a button to suggest that the library acquire it - I figured they would just take that request in conjunction with other requests and determine whether it was worthwhile or not - to my surprise, the guy in charge of Overdrive (the electronic delivery of ebooks and audiobooks) let me know that it was not available in Overdrive but he had ordered the physical media (CDs) and would put me on the waiting list to get it when it came in. I explained that I wouldn't be able to do that, but thanked him just the same.

Since then, they have acquired 3 other books - 2 ebooks and 1 audiobook - based on my recommendations. I don't know whether I am a good representative of their patrons and the books I request are also of interest to other patrons, or if there are very few people who make requests at all so they have the funds to respond to all requests. At any rate, I figure I can make contributions to the library, and will do that, since they didn't want me to pay for my library card!

Right next to the Foothills library was the Sheriff's department....

They had an interesting looking vehicle in the parking lot...
It indicated that it was part of their "Search and Rescue" force - I guess it is outfitted for work in the desert.

No comments:

Post a Comment