Wednesday, February 7, 2018

Scan and Go

I know that my brother will not think this is good... some people don't like using self-checkouts... stores should provide people to check you out... but... I like not having to wait, and not choosing a line that looks short but has a very slow customer or checkout person... However, I will *not* wait in line for a self-checkout, because most customers are slower at checking out than even the slowest paid checkout person!

A few weeks ago, when there were long lines at Sam's Club, I noticed a sign about "Scan and Go" - so, while I was waiting, I looked up the app and installed it. I had almost finished getting my items scanned and paid for before the checkout line was completed. Since then, I have used it a couple of times - I can scan the items as we shop and all I have to do is process the payment and walk on out. At Sam's, since they check your receipt at the door anyway, you don't have to stop at the checkout counters at all if you've used Scan and Go, just show the end result on your phone instead of a receipt. It has the added advantage that the receipts are on my phone, not paper copies for me to throw away or lose!

On Monday at the Walmart we visited in Yuma, they had special holders on the cart for scanners, and scanners on a kiosk at the door, or information about being able to use "Scan and Go" at that Walmart. So... while I was shopping, I installed the app, and then as we were finishing up, I scanned our items. I really liked it because I could indicate multiple quantities (we buy several gallons of water at Walmart - 14 today - so we really don't like using self-checkout if we are purchasing water because each item needs to be individually scanned). When I went to the checkout area, I just had to scan the QR code looking thingy and then process my payment. I already pay online with a stored credit card at Walmart, so it was easy-peasy! The receipt is sent to me electronically and I can submit it for price comparisons.
Evidently they encourage you to take bags with you and bag your stuff as you scan it... we had not done that so we bagged after we paid. It would have been easier to bag as we scanned cuz then we would have been sure we scanned everything without re-counting items and reviewing what we'd done.
We definitely found it easy to use and will try it again!

No comments:

Post a Comment