Sunday, July 1, 2018

Saturday in Ogden

I had read before coming to Ogden that they had a downtown Farmer's Market on Saturday, so we decided to go and see what kinds of veggies we could pick up. We parked at the train station, which was at one end (Wall Street and 25th) of the Farmer's Market... unfortunately all the vegetables and fruit sellers were at the other end of the market (Washington Street and 25th - about a mile walk) - but it was good to get our walk in!
Looking east toward the "farmer's" part of the Farmer's Market.

Looking west
The market is on "Historic 25th Street" between Wall and Washington Streets.

I noticed this sign as I was walking back to the Jeep...
I was wondering why they had a menu item called "Montenegro", but there was a line of folks waiting to order, so I didn't ask to find out... but I checked out their website, and sent in a question and got an answer!
But I checked out their website (https://www.dalicrepes.com/about), and sent in a question and got an answer!
Hi Patti
I'm from Serbia, gentleman who work today with me is from Crna Gora (Montenegro) one of the best prosciutto make in Niksic.  That's was inspiration for name of my Crepes.
Please next time be my guest and try some of our Crepes.
Dalibor
I wish I had stopped and chatted with them!

When we got back to the train station where we had parked, we decided to take a look at the outdoor exhibit of trains that they have there. The first one is Union Pacific Steam Locomotive #855 - The Speedy Engine with "Elephant Ears"


I took a picture of the 6' tall wheels -

Google created a "stylized" photo automatically for me, making it into all black and white - I thought this looked really neat!

Further back on that train...

I thought this was interesting because of a story I remember my Mom telling us when we were young. She worked in the Post Office in Providence Forge during WWII. I can't remember exactly the circumstances, but something to do with the military folks getting paid in silver dollars, and maybe someone had purchased something in the Post Office with a lot of the silver dollars. At any rate, she had a lot of them in the outgoing mail that she put in the canvas sack for the train to pick up as it went by. As this sign indicates, the folks on the train used a metal hook to pick up the canvas bag - but with all the weight of the silver dollars, either the canvas bag or the strap broke, or the pick-up person dropped it, and silver dollars went all over the side of the track. She learned not to do that again!
I didn't realize that there were "Post Office Cars" on the train. I just thought the train was a pickup/delivery vehicle.




This one could pull a train seven miles long!






And to the back of the train...


After the Farmers Market and visiting the trains, we headed to Sam's Club to fill up the Jeep with gas and do some shopping. I took this picture of the mountains - seeing the mountains here reminds me of being on the front range in Colorado - always seeing the mountains whenever you're out and about - except here they are to the east. I have been told that there are mountains on the other side of the Great Salt Lake (to the west) too, but they aren't as noticeable.
We were stocking up on foodstuffs as the next week we will be visiting friends at an RV Park in Wells, Nevada, and there doesn't seem to be much in the way of shopping near there - so I wanted to make sure we had the veggies and meats that we need for the next week or so. I think we're set now!

No comments:

Post a Comment