Saturday, July 27, 2019

Acapella singing

A friend at the ILC recommended this recording of "Only A Holy God" to me:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uORftJ2jDnI

I am not a singer, and I have never been in a choir or sung in parts, but, I remember two instances where I experienced being part of such an event:
  • Many years ago, I was in New York City at Christmas time. My Mom and Aunt Libby came into the city and stayed with me a few nights in the hotel. Christmas is a magical time to be in NYC. We decided one night to go to a "Messiah sing-along" at a local church (I think it may have been St Bartholomew's). When we arrived at the church, we were asked at the door what section of the choir we belonged to (I had *no* answer), but Aunt Libby confidently answered "soprano!" so we were handed the libretto and were directed to the soprano section of the congregation. I was blown away by having the libretto and listening to each of the parts of the sanctuary singing their part of the songs (I wisely mouthed the words and enjoyed those around me singing on tune!). I heard so much more of Handel's composition by having the libretto and appreciating all the different voices merging together to make a glorious whole!
  • Another time, I was at a technical conference in San Antonio. I was scheduled to teach a class on Sunday before the conference began, but figured that I had time to make it to the service at Oak Hills Church, where Max Lucado was the pastor, and that I could be back in time to teach the class. This is a Church of Christ, where, during Sunday services, there are no musical instruments, and the congregation sings in 4-part harmony. It was amazing to be in the midst of the singing in that service. (Even though I think I almost gave my manager heart-failure as I showed up barely in time to teach my assigned class at the hotel!)
This video seems to be from a group whose role is to teach groups to sing acappella - it certainly sounds beautiful! And I'm grateful for the words of the hymn which remind us that "Only a Holy God" can accomplish the miracles that are His alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment