Tuesday, July 16, 2019

How is the ILC different from IBM?

I was struck today with differences between the ILC (International Linguistics Center, where I'm volunteering) and IBM (where I had a 33 year career). There are some similarities - both use acronyms, though they mean different things (PD was Personal Development at IBM, but is Partner Development (aka support raising) at the ILC). As I mentioned that I heard at Florence Gerdel's memorial service a few days ago (http://trekincartwrights.blogspot.com/2019/07/florence-gerdel.html), "Every job has its bedpans." - and I guess that applies here too, though I have to admit I haven't seen any noticeable "bedpans" yet!

A few differences I noted today:
  • We had a department meeting today, and it started with prayer, requested prayer as we discussed specific thorny problems during the meeting, allowed for sharing of prayer needs by individuals, and ended with prayer at the end.
  • A co-worker came by my office and I was sharing (complaining, more like it!) about not feeling like I am doing a very adequate job in the task of the volunteer office coordinator, and, after listening to me for a few minutes, he said, "I'd like to pray for you about this, would that be ok?" and he proceeded to take my concerns to God.
  • The goals are to honor God in what we do, not just to get a job done.
I am indeed, wonderfully blessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment