Sunday, July 21, 2019

Pleased to get things done

I've been dealing with a slow draining sink for a while... I knew I needed to clean out the drain, but... I just hadn't done it. Finally, on Saturday, I decided it was time.

It happened to be the sink that has the kitty privy underneath, so I cleared that out first. It was not immediately obvious to me how to disconnect the drain stopper, so I did a search online and found some videos that are just right for my level of expertise - they are done by "Repair and Replace" - this was the one that helped me on this task:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ajvSQPvT1k
The main thing that was helpful to me is looking at which way to loosen the fittings -  I know "lefty-loosey, righty-tighty", but it is hard for my brain to figure this out when the item is behind the pipe and I have to reverse it! (I can't really say that this is due to grief-brain, I think I've always been challenged on this kind of thinking!)

So, I got the drain stopper disconnected, and I was using a wire-grabber type of thing to pull the gunk out... but I finally decided to disconnect the pipe under the sink (it isn't a P-trap - I don't know whether there is a trap further along in the system or not - I'm guessing that there is - but there is a right-angle bend under the sink, so I disconnected that). That allowed me to push a paper towel through the pipe and get all the nasty out... I really don't think all of that was from our creation (*my* creation since it has been the bathroom sink that I have primarily used) - I think some could have been in there since before our ownership! To my remembrance, it isn't something that we have ever cleaned out during our ownership of Miss Doozie.

At any rate, I got all the yuck out down to the right-angle turn. I thought about trying to find out if there was a P-trap behind the wall that is next to the kitty privy, but, the sink is draining well now, so I decided to just go with what I had done.

I definitely missed having Dwayne to work with me on this - this was the type of task that he would have known exactly what to do, although in recent years, he sometimes didn't have the mobility to physically do the contortions necessary so I would have helped. There were several times on Saturday that I would be trying to accomplish a part of the task and just couldn't get the screw to move or the attachment to detach, and I would stop and pray a quick prayer to God for help, and it would immediately work when it had not just the moment before. There were also a number of times that I told God how much I still miss Dwayne and, if He didn't mind, to let Dwayne know that I still love him so much! It does feel good to know that I was eventually able to do it, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment