Friday, July 19, 2019

Cameras on cats

My web browser knows I like cats, so it recommended this article to me:
https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2019/05/researchers-strapped-video-cameras-16-cats-and-let-them-do-their-thing-here-s-what-they?utm_source=pocket-newtab

From that article, I found this one:
https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2019/05/cats-rival-dogs-many-tests-social-smarts-anyone-brave-enough-study-them
and it has some tests to do to determine "How socially smart is your cat?" I tried some of them with Miss Kitty -- I have to admit to mixed results.

But this quote made me laugh out loud:
The team started with 99 cats but got usable data on only 41. In other labs, cats have leapt out of mazes topped with nets designed to keep them inside, leaving the whole setup in disarray. And some researchers have had to deprive cats of food for up to 8 hours just to motivate them to crave a treat. "If you want results on one cat," Miklósi says, "you have to test three."
Yep, that's cats!

No comments:

Post a Comment