Saturday, April 6, 2019

Tyler Azalea & Spring Flower Trail

I drove to Gladewater, TX on Friday, to attend the Coaches for Christ rally that starts on Monday. I looked at things to do in the area, and found that the Tyler Azalea & Spring Flower Trails celebration was for two weeks, ending this weekend. I thought that maybe the height of the blooms would have already passed, but decided to drive over to Tyler to see.

When I first got in to Tyler, I saw some azaleas that were definitely past their prime, but I continued to the visitor center, and started following one of the two marked driving flower trails through the neighborhoods in Tyler.

I soon discovered that I had *not* missed the show! There were still a lot of blooms out!

Pink dogwood and azaleas within the first couple of blocks of the drive (the whole drive was a few miles long).

Much of the "Azalea District" has bricked roads

There were "Azalea Belles" at various locations along the drive - in beautiful period dresses and carrying parasols.

I took this picture of some more of the Belles via my rearview mirror - thus the backwards speed limit sign!

...bricked streets and beautiful flowers...

Wisteria

There are so many homes on the tour...

... each has such a pristinely kept yard...

... all different shapes and sizes of homes...

I guess Tyler has just the right kind of soil for growing azaleas...

... if I recall correctly, acidic soil is needed...

Just beautiful!

A lot of the yards had a stream running through the yard -- in this area, it was a few feet below the ground surface.

In case you want to visit: https://visittyler.com/azaleatrail/

I am glad I went this morning - the skies were very cloudy, and by the time I got back to the rig, it was starting to sprinkle. Within a few minutes, the skies opened up and it poured... it has been raining for many hours now. I hope the Azalea Belles got inside before it rained! I wonder how high those streams are running now?!?!?

No comments:

Post a Comment