Sunday, June 19, 2016

Happy Father's Day!

While scanning in pictures, I (Patti) have found a few of my dad, but none of Dwayne's Pop yet...

They both passed away in 1999, just 3 weeks apart. Pop had cancer, and so his death was somewhat anticipated and gave the family time to prepare.

Dad's death came at the end of a day when he had attended an auction in the county in the morning at which he must have seen almost everyone who lived in New Kent - according to the number of people who told me at the visitation that "I had just seen him that morning!" He and Jimmy and Ricky were working on clearing trees that had fallen over fences in an ice storm in the afternoon; they had finished up for the day, he put the chainsaw on the wagon, went to step up onto the tractor and stepped up into heaven instead! I'm not sure I would like to be sawing trees on the last day of my life, but Dad was doing things he loved with people he loved until his last breath - I don't think any of us would write our life differently from that if we could!

In August, 1990, Dad came to visit us in Texas and then drove with us, and David, to Yellowstone. One of the days we were there, we met up with Dad's brother Jim (and Mary, though I don't have pictures with her) and cousin Sara's family.

August 1990, Fort Worth Water Gardens

Dad, David, and Dwayne at the lower falls of the Yellowstone River, August, 1990

Dad with Sara's children at Pine Creek Lodge, August 3, 1990


Uncle Jim and Dad at Pine Creek Lodge, August, 1990

No comments:

Post a Comment