Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Clean teeth, haircut, and Mexican food

We headed to Los Algodones this morning. I had made an appointment with Dr Lilia for 10:30am. I checked online and thought that Los Algodones was on Pacific time, so had thought the appointment was 11:30am Arizona time. We had planned to leave here about 9am to make 10:30am Arizona time, but left a little later than that thinking we had an additional hour.

As it turns out, at least my dentist's office goes on Arizona time - so I arrived just in time for my appointment. Dwayne left to go get a hair cut. They took me back within just a few minutes, and my periodontist (Dr Lilia) took a look at my gums. She said that they are looking much better (I am not brushing so hard anymore). Rosa then cleaned my teeth and applied "Gluma" which was great for dealing with the sensitivity that I have at the gumline. Last year they just put it on the right side (which was where my gums were in the worst shape because I am right-handed and put more pressure on when brushing) - and there was a noticeable difference between the right and left side on sensitivity (none on right, a bit on left). So today I asked to get it on both sides, so I am hoping that I will have no sensitivity at all now. Dr Lilia said that the Gluma would be removed with the teeth cleaning. I had thought that she may have said last year that it would wear off after several months, but I had not noticed any issues with that.

Some pictures from today:
The border wall from the parking lot on the US side.

You won't be able to see it, but Dr Camacho's office (and his daughter, Dra Lilia) is right below the Mexican flag - this picture is from the parking lot on the US side - they are right at the border.

The US customs on the left, Mexican on the right, walking path on far right.

Walking path into Mexico; the parking lot is up the hill to the right.

Just over the border - there were signs after I took the picture on the walking path indicating no pictures - I think from US immigration/customs. There is a revolving door made out of metal bars that everyone passes through before entering Mexico. There is kind of an odd serpentine type path around/through buildings, but no one checks any documents when we entered Mexico (other than both of us checking multiple times that we had our passports!!!).
 After my teeth cleaning, Dwayne met me out in the dentist's office waiting room, and we walked into the market to see if we could see Juan, Anna, and Jesus that we met last year (http://trekincartwrights.blogspot.com/2016/03/another-day-in-los-algodones.html).
Picture from last year of baby Jesus (3 months old in March) and Anna

We found the shop right away and I asked if Anna was there - she came out and brought Jesus (he is probably just over a year old now) out to see us again. Juan was also there though he was busy with a customer.

We stopped for lunch - Dwayne is taking a picture of the menu so he would remember the prices of what we ordered.

We had eaten at this restaurant last year - it is probably pricier than some of the street places, but they have nice places to sit - some under shade (we were under shade) - all outside. They had a band playing too.

I think this was a poinsettia growing naturally and blooming. I had heard that they need to be forced to bloom for Christmas plants (with prescribed light and dark).

Going back over the border is a little bit of a wait - the line from where we got into it went down about 30 feet and then turned back around to the right about the same distance. But it moved pretty quickly. There were folks selling things or asking for money all down the line.

I probably wasn't supposed to take this picture either, but there were American military persons checking vehicles that were preparing to cross the border on the street right next to our line. No cars visible in this picture, but they would pass between the military folks and where we were standing. Who knows, they may have been checking the pedestrians too!

Again, you can't tell from this picture, but just to the left of that red wall is where Dr Camacho's office is where I went today. The cars there are waiting to cross over into the US.
 We got back across the border with no problem and came on back to the bus.
This afternoon, I practiced a little "sand art" with my rake in the sand next to our campsite.

I was enjoying making designs, but then I realized I couldn't get to the building to put my rake away without messing up my design!

Dwayne suggested that I close the door of the building, then re-sculpt my sand art, and stow the rake under the bus - which is what I did!


No comments:

Post a Comment