Saturday, September 21, 2019

Elohim!

As I posted a few days ago, I started Hebrew class on Tuesday; our second class was on Thursday.

We are using the sections of Hebrew scripture in our study. These were used in the Hebrew scripture as there were no chapter and verse designations. Each section has a "title" and then a sentence or two in the scripture. The first section (Genesis 1:1-6:8) is B'Reisheet, or "in the beginning", "In the beginning created God the heavens and the earth."

In our workbook, we have a picture of a scroll and the Hebrew text for that sentence. I realized that I should be able to find "God" in that Hebrew text, and, sure enough, I found it: 
אֱלֹהִים
Actually, in the scroll, it did not have vowel markings but, the place I copied it from on the computer has the vowel markings.

Since one of my goals is to be able to look at Hebrew characters and, instead of seeing squiggles, to see characters and to be able to sound out words, I was SO excited that I am already starting to be able to do that! I'm so thankful to God!!!




2 comments:

  1. Learning Hebrew will be beneficial for bible study. You will be able to understand the Old Testament, and reread Gods Ten Commandments. Gods character is the 10 commandments. He wrote them with his own finger on rock.It sounds amazing! Enjoy learning and praise God. I have a bible with the Hebrew and Greek, but it’s not the same as knowing the language!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for this encouragement! It is already impacting my Bible study!

      Delete