Sunday, September 8, 2019

Texas State Inspection

I mentioned a couple of weeks ago about taking the Jeep to get it inspected (and not being able to complete it because the "codes" could not be read since the battery had been disconnected earlier in the day).  http://trekincartwrights.blogspot.com/2019/08/getting-things-done.html
I successfully got the Jeep inspected the next weekend (with no additional charge), and I verified with them that they would be able to do the Texas State Inspection on a large motorhome. I had already checked the entrances and exits to the parking lot to make sure that I thought Miss Doozie would be able to enter and exit without dragging front or back.

On Thursday during devotions, I asked if someone would help me by checking the brake/running/turn signal lights on the back of Miss Doozie. I remembered that Dwayne had often needed to clean the contacts on one of the lights to keep it working well, and I wanted to be sure that was working before I took it to get inspected. Two of the fellows from the RV park came over, and they found that one of the lights worked sometimes but not always (I think it worked when I put the brake on, but not if I had the brake and turn signal on). They asked if I had a replacement bulb, and I said that we had previously just cleaned the contacts - they wanted to try that and see if it worked, so I opened the engine compartment and they took the bulb out, cleaned the contacts, replaced it, we re-tested, and all was working - Praise God!

I decided I should go ahead and take it to the shop for the inspection (this issue with the bulb not always working seems to come back and I didn't want to wait for a couple of weeks and have it re-appear), so I called the shop on Saturday morning and they said that they could take it - I verified where they wanted me to park the behemoth...
... I got to the shop and parked it out on the side of the shop where they had recommended. I felt like the 50,000 pound gorilla blocking part of the driveway past the side of the building, but there was still one lane that could get by...
One of the workers was coming out to the bus as I got out - I handed him the registration papers and my proof of insurance. He wanted the mileage, so I went back to the bus and got that, and took it into the shop to him. I had asked if I could stay on the bus as I had a cat and didn't want her to get loose, and they had told me that was okay. I was just readubg some things on my phone when the fellow showed up at the door and said that it was all done, and the cost would be $7. He handed me the completed inspection report, and I went into the office and paid the $7....

Note that, as far as I know, no one checked the lights or tires or anything... we had a similar experience in January when we had the Texas State Inspection done on Miss Doozie when we arrived in Houston (http://trekincartwrights.blogspot.com/2019/01/south-main-rv-park.html). In both cases, they saw me drive up in the bus, they saw that it stopped when I put on brakes, I guess they may have seen the running lights in the front when I arrived (but I don't think they could have seen brake lights and would not have seen turn signals). Miss Doozie looks like a well-maintained unit... maybe there aren't very stringent requirements? Whatever the case, I got a "pass" on the state inspection, so I not have submitted the payment for my registration online and should be getting the updated stickers for both vehicles in the next few weeks... and I'm thankful to have this behind me! I am also so thankful for helpful brothers in the Lord who helped me check the lights and helped me ensure that they were working (in case they had been checked!).

No comments:

Post a Comment