Tuesday, September 24, 2019

Only one chance to make a first impression

I have heard it said that you have "only one chance to make a first impression"...

Well, I muffed it a few days ago...

The leader of SIL International is in Dallas - I knew that he and his wife were going to be staying in the tiny house that is in the RV park.

One evening when I got back to the bus, I had been wearing a nice dress for work that day, and I didn't want Miss Kitty to get cat hair on it or risk snagging it with a claw, so I changed into "around the house clothes". *Grubby* around-the-house clothes. Clothes you use for cleaning the kitty litter pan or taking a nap, but not clothes you use for meeting someone.

There was a knock on the door, and one of the other ladies, Lisa, who lives in the RV park was there - I went outside to talk with her - she has seen me in grubby clothes, no big deal.

Then, a couple came along the path from the Cowan apartments that are located behind where I am parked... I didn't recognize them, but, Lisa did... and when they came into the light, I thought, "I've seen this guy's picture... oh yeah, he's the one hosting the global meeting tomorrow, oh good, I'm here in my grubbiest clothes meeting the head of the organization, wonderful -- not!"

Both Michel and his wife were very kind and gracious.
https://www.sil.org/biography/michel-kenmogne-phd

I was scheduled to work at the Welcome Desk during the time that Michel was speaking at the global meeting on campus - but it was broadcast on Zoom so I was able to listen and be updated on what he had to say:

A photo of my computer screen during the broadcast

A portion of one of the slides from his presentation with the mission statement for SIL.

I think that he will continue to be in the US and probably back on the Dallas campus in the next weeks, through the Bible Translation conference that is happening in mid-October. As one of my co-workers said, "Maybe you were disheveled enough that if he meets you again, he won't recognize you as someone he has met before!" I can only hope!

2 comments:

  1. Perhaps you've heard the story of a man who went to a bank years ago to open an account. He was dressed in torn jeans and a dirty shirt.
    He was declined because of his appearance. He went across the street to another bank where they immediately accepted his million dollar account. The employee at the second bank knew that this millionaire worked in the oil fields and often looked like a common person. The point is it's not always appearance that speaks for a person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't judge a book by its cover! Thanks for the reminder, Roxanne!

      Delete