Friday, September 20, 2019

What punishments of God are not gifts?

A couple of weeks ago I listened to a video that I think influenced some of my thoughts in my blog post for yesterday: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YB46h1koicQ
It is an interview between Anderson Cooper and Stephen Colbert primarily about grief and loss. In it, Cooper asks Colbert about something he had heard him say, "What punishments of God are not gifts?" Colbert indicates that he was quoting Tolkien.

I did a search to get more information about the quote, and found this post:
https://www.desiringgod.org/articles/what-punishments-of-god-are-not-gifts
which addresses the concepts brought up in the video, and which I really appreciated.

Some quotes from the blog post:
Those shaped deeply by the Scriptures know, however, that the lavish love of God for us often hurts in this life.
Therefore, for those who love God, all our pain comes through his loving hands to lead us to deeper reservoirs of joy.
“My son, do not regard lightly the discipline of the Lord,
    nor be weary when reproved by him. 
 For the Lord disciplines the one he loves,
    and chastises every son whom he receives.” (Hebrews 12:5b-6)

I'm still learning, I realize that I am encountering things in my heart that I most likely would not have encountered had I not lost Dwayne and been working through the grief of that experience.

I heard today that the wife of one of the RV couples that we used to meet up with in the desert in Arizona passed away this morning... please be in prayer for Carl and for their children (all adults, but grieving over the loss of their mother).

No comments:

Post a Comment