Wednesday, October 2, 2019

Come join me!

Did you know that more than 100 million people do not have even a single verse of scripture in a language that they understand? There are more than 2100 languages which do not yet have any scripture in their language... for them, John 3:16 looks like this:
"________________________________________________________"
Are you aware that another 2600+ languages only have portions of scripture in their language?
Are you saddened that, out of over 7300 languages in the world, only 677 have the whole Bible available in their language?
I am so glad that English is one of those 677 languages, that I can read and study scripture in the language that I can most easily read and understand.

Would you like to make a difference in getting the Bible translated so the people who currently don't have scriptures available to them would have it available? Do you have the faith to believe that it could occur within this generation?

Come join me here at the campus of the International Linguistics Center (ILC) in Dallas, Texas. Join folks from Wycliffe Bible Translators, SIL International, Pioneer Bible Translators, Dallas International University, and others as we make progress in accomplishing the proclaiming of the gospel throughout that whole world that Jesus spoke about in Matthew 24:14:
And this gospel of the kingdom will be proclaimed throughout the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come.
I think that I have posted before that the campus where I live and work makes large use of volunteers - many of whom come in their RVs in the winter - "Winter Volunteers". The numbers of folks who come has been reducing as the folks who have been accustomed to coming are aging and are no longer able to come. Sooooo - we need some new folks who would be willing to come and volunteer!

While the DFW area may get some cold weather in the winter, it usually doesn't last long. I used to say, when we lived in this area, that if it snowed here, the snow was very "civilized" - it snowed and looked nice for a day, and melted the next! Full disclosure: I haven't stayed in the DFW area through the winter in the RV before - but I've been here through December, and as early as the end of February. My experience in those stays tell me that ou would definitely want a working heater in your rig but it is not normally a bad climate for the winter.

The RV park (and the whole campus) is really beautiful - I took some pictures in the RV park this week - we don't have irrigation and have had almost no rain this summer, so the grass is looking a little peaked...

Looking "up" the hill - there are a number of trees in the campground, which has been great through the summer!

Some available slots just across the campground road from my spot - currently occupied by current residents' cars, but they will be moved when the campground starts getting full.

Miss Doozie and the Jee-rage in my space. I have an "interesting" space in that there is a walk path right next to my site that leads to the retirement apartments (retired missionaries). I get to talk to the most interesting folks! "Retired" is not a concept that missionaries quite understand... they are almost all still very involved with various projects here and around the world!

For volunteers, the campus charges $200/month for a full hookup site, all included (no additional charges for electricity). They ask that singles in the RV park volunteer at least 20 hours per week, and if a couple is in the RV, that a total of 40 hours be volunteered between the two of them, however the couple decides to split that up.

If you don't have an RV, there is also rental housing available on campus - I honestly don't know the details about that... I know that there is a Guest House that has rooms like dorm rooms, and there are apartments and mobile homes that the campus rents out. I don't know what the cost or availability are of those options, but I can try to get information if anyone is interested, or you can email housing_dallas@sil.org and request information.

If you are interested in volunteering, information about volunteer opportunities can be found here:
https://sites.google.com/a/sil.org/dallas-center-ilc/volunteer-opportunities
At that site, there is also a link to the volunteer application, and to the id to send housing requests - you can use that same id for requests for RV sites. There is also an email address and phone number to use if you have any questions.

If you are just passing through DFW and would like to visit the campus, please let me know! I can arrange for Vanay to provide a tour so you can learn more about what work is supported through the activities on this campus. Use the teamsil_dallas@sil.org id and I can get messages to Vanay to schedule.

If you are only available to come for a short time, it is possible we can also use you as a volunteer for less than committing to the whole winter season. We could discuss by email or phone what you would be interested in doing and try to get a lot of the "onboarding" accomplished before you get here so you can hit the ground running. 

If you are traveling in your RV through the area, you can stay in the RV park just as a "guest" (I think the rate is $30/night for full hookups, but you'd need to check with housing to be sure). I'd love to see you here and get to visit!

Come join me at the International Linguistics Center in Dallas!

No comments:

Post a Comment