Tuesday, October 29, 2019

The Promise

On Saturday evening, I joined some other folks from our church to go see The Promise in Glen Rose, TX. Two folks that I know from church are performing in it this year (I think this is the third year that they have performed in it) - I've been wanting to go each year, but, we haven't normally been in Texas in the fall, so it hasn't worked out. I had asked Kelly to let me know if folks from church were planning to go, so she let me know that her Community Group (Sunday School class) had some folks going this week, so I arranged to go with them. It is about an hour's drive from the campus where I'm living; I drove to Glen Rose and met them at Hammond's BBQ.

The show is a musical that presents the life of Jesus.
https://thepromiseglenrose.com/
If you follow the link, you'll see a brief clip / gif from the show -- what one of my friends had mentioned, who went a few weeks ago, was what a joyful expression the man who portrayed Jesus wore through so much of the show - when he came up out of the baptismal waters and God commended him, when he called the children to come to him, when people were full of joy because of the healing of their loved ones -- and you can see that in the clip on the website.

For some reason, I don't usually think of Jesus with a face full of joy, but, I have to believe that He *was* joyful - at the times I mentioned above, and other times in His ministry - when people "got it"!

A few pictures I took:
Before the show - a picture of the stage. In the front, there is a water-filled "moat" that was used as the Jordan River (during Jesus' baptism) and the Sea of Galilee (when Jesus calmed the storm). There were elaborate sets that rolled onto the stage at various times during the show. On the far right, on the second story, was the "home" of the narrator of the show...

He had been a shepherd boy in the fields of Bethlehem and heard the announcement of the angels - he was telling his family about Jesus -- his daughter was played by one of our friends from church.
Her real-life Mom, Kelly, was also in the show, playing Jairus' wife (whose daughter was healed / brought back to life).

This is one of the final scenes - after the resurrection.
It was quite an impressive show - 150-person cast and crew, live animals, in its 31st year. It is an outdoor amphitheater, and since the temperature was to go down into the mid 50s by the completion of the show, I brought several layers and was able to stay nice and toasty warm.

If you have the opportunity to go -- go! The last performances for this season are this coming weekend, 11/1 and 11/2.

No comments:

Post a Comment