Saturday, October 12, 2019

The yurt is here!

I posted a few days ago about a yurt being built on the campus: http://trekincartwrights.blogspot.com/2019/09/a-yurt-is-coming-yurt-is-coming.html

About a week ago, I was in the area where it is and it looked like it was about finished:
I didn't walk down to it - I have heard that it is to have French door, so it looks like one of the doors is open.
Thursday, I had the opportunity to visit it - we were setting up for a big conference that is being held on the center starting Friday night. They wanted to have the ability to have a place that folks could print boarding passes or maybe other small jobs down near the event center. There was a printer in the office I use which is not very much used, so we decided to relocate it to the yurt. So, I went with Doug to put it in (not that I was any help, other than recommending caution that he not hurt himself!!).

I took a couple of pictures of the interior:

I think that the center hole is covered by a plexiglass kind of window. There is just the one carpet on the floor - I'm thinking that it may have origins in Mongolia.

That's the French doors from the inside.
I understand that it has windows that can be unzipped (the canvas unzipped) and then those black-edged things on the left side of the bottom picture could, I think, be used to cover the opening - to allow light in but not outside air. They looked like plastic sheeting with black heavy-weight material around the edges.

I think there is up-lighting at the top of the walls to provide indirect lighting when it is dark.

It will get used this weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment