Sunday, November 16, 2014

No cell service, really? And... don't those folks have better things to do????

Our final night on the Trace, we stayed in the southernmost campground on the Parkway, Rocky Springs. As was our normal practice, we drove all the way through the park and then picked a site that looked level and comfortable.

When we got all settled in, I took a look at my phone and saw a strange character - like a "not" sign circle with a slash through it... no 4G, no 3G, no bars, nothing... hmmm... wonder if this is why all those other RVs were parked up at the top of the hill?  Oh well, we could do without communication for a night.

The next morning, Dwayne took first shift on driving. (I checked as we drove through the "up hill" section, and my phone still did not have connectivity.) A few miles down the Trace, we got connectivity. Uh oh, there were missed phone calls and Facebook messages - what happened?

Someone decided to impersonate me on Facebook, copying my cover and profile picture and then sending "Friend" requests to my existing friends. Some of them, thinking that something must have happened that I needed to create a new profile, accepted the "Friend" request. The impersonator then seemed to ask them to go to a site -- which probably then did other things to them if they went further. One of my college roommates told me that "when he suggested an online gambling site, I figured it wasn't you!"

Thankfully, I was able to let Facebook know and they shut down the impersonator, but it was rather annoying for me and for my friends.

As my cousin, Susie, said, "Why can't they apply themselves to something useful instead of doing things like this?!?!?!"

No comments:

Post a Comment