Friday, March 17, 2017

Return to "active" status

Well, after a night at a "sketchy" Walmart (not sure why, but we both felt it was not completely safe, but there were a number of 18-wheelers in the lot with us, so we decided to stay), Dwayne woke up this morning with a full-fledged all-out cold - sneezing and stopped up... so... second string got moved back to first string and I drove from Grants to Roswell (actually, just south, near Dexter), NM. So, no pictures today, though it was another day of beautiful scenery as we traveled primarily through high desert plains - about 5000-6000' in elevation. We were on I-40 through Albuquerque and then south on US-285 to Roswell.

In some of the pasture land we saw cattle... at one point, I saw a group of cattle laying in the shade under a billboard along the freeway - I called my brother to tell him that would be a way to provide shade for his cattle and make revenue renting out the billboard too... he chuckled, I don't think he is going to implement it! We also saw goats, and maybe sheep (if they were sheep, they had been recently sheared), and in a few places, we saw antelope or something like that.

Near Roswell, there are a lot of nut orchards - I think they are pecan orchards. They are so beautifully kept - the ground is so clear under the trees. I am kind of surprised to think of pecans here - I think of Georgia for pecans, and this is a very different climate. But, I guess they can irrigate and maybe otherwise the ground and the weather are amenable!

It is quite warm - above 80s in the daytime, though still in the 40s at night. We are using the a/c because our campground is downwind from the feedlot or dairy across the road. When we have been here before, the prevailing winds have been so that we didn't notice, but today it was rather "impressive"!

We will be working on getting Dwayne back to health and me back to 100% and hopefully get to see our friends here in Roswell.

No comments:

Post a Comment