Saturday, March 25, 2017

Uh-oh... Jury duty... and you missed it!

Subtitle: your choice of domicile *does* make a difference!

We got our accumulated physical mail from our mail forwarding service on Thursday. In the mail was a Jury Summons for me for Monday, March 20 - this week, but I obviously didn't show up for jury duty when I was supposed to... uh oh!

One of the reasons that we decided to set our domicile for Polk County was that we had heard that they were understanding of RVers... I guessed I was about to find out.

I called them on Friday, and the lady whose name was on the summons was out the office, but the lady who answered the phone asked if she could help. I told her that I had just received my mail the day before and that I had a jury summons for last Monday and I obviously missed it, and what should I do now?

She said, "Oh, are you one of those Escapees, the RVers?" (as opposed to the "escapees" from the federal penitentiary in Huntsville, just up the road...)

When I said "yes", she said, "I'll just make a note on your record, that's okay."
I said, "Do I need to reschedule?"
She said, "We know that y'all travel a lot and we just ask that when you know you're going to be in town, you give us a call, and offer to serve on jury then."

And that was it!

I told Dwayne, now I feel more obligated than if they had forced me to come in as soon as possible! I am grateful for them understanding our lifestyle and willingness to help us comply. We may try to go when we finish our planned stay in the DFW area... (early May) depending on what is going on with the house, etc. Otherwise, we don't plan to be back in Texas until 2018... so we'll see what we can work out.

While I don't know what result would have occurred if we were still domiciled in Dallas County, this was certainly easy to deal with for which I was very thankful!

No comments:

Post a Comment